Lose your bottle and face fine: Prosecco police
The Local · 2 Jul 2013, 10:25
Published: 02 Jul 2013 10:25 GMT+02:00
Bars and restaurants in Veneto will be slapped with a fine if they serve the region's Prosecco DOC from anything but a bottle after the Italian government launched a campaign to protect its treasured tipple.
The country’s agriculture ministry has sought the help of 28-year-old Andrea Battistella, a graduate in the science of wine, to roam the region and impose fines on anyone serving the sparkling wine from a 'carafe' or on tap, local newspaper Il Gazzettino reported.
The news marks the latest move to preserve the quality and standards of Prosecco DOC.
Producers have also applied to have the wine-producing hills protected as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, citing 200 years of Prosecco production as a key reason.
An image of a migrant boat wreck taking by the Italian navy last week. Photo: Marina Militare
At least 1,000 people are thought to have drowned or are missing in nine migrant shipwrecks in the Mediterranean over the last six days, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said on Tuesday.
Photo: Moyann Brenn
Our pick of the best apartments to spend your Rome vacation.
Schools in the Umbrian town of Orvieto were closed on Tuesday after strong tremors were felt. Photo: Yaniv Ben-Arie
An earthquake measuring 4.1 on the Richter scale struck the central Italian region of Umbria on Monday night, and was followed by two smaller quakes this morning, creating panic among residents and closing schools in the hilltop town of Orvieto.
Fourteen people were injured in a fire at a paint factory on Monday night. Photo: YouReporter
Fourteen people, seven of them firefighters, were injured in an explosion which also completely destroyed a paints factory near Turin on Monday night.
Francesco Schettino during his first instance trial last year. Photo: Alberto Pizzoli/AFP
An appeals court in Florence will make a decision later today.
Rome Flying Squad chief Luigi Silipo and prosecutor Maria Monteleone during a press conference on Monday. Screengrab: RepTV/La Repubblica
A 27-year-old man has admitted to burning his ex-girlfriend alive because he “couldn’t accept that she abandoned him”.
Antoine Laurent, one of the merchant seamen aboard MS Aquarius. Photo: Gabriel Bouys/AFP
They are unlikely members of the same crew: career seamen for whom it was initially just another job and landlubber humanitarian workers trying to make the world a better place.
A report this month said there were around 800,000 migrants in Libya waiting to attempt the journey across the Mediterranean. Photo: Gabriel Bouys/AFP
With 13,000 people rescued in one week and hundreds presumed drowned, what do we know about migrant flows across the
Mediterranean to Italy?
The 80-year-old was heading home after going for pizza in Alghero, Sardinia. Photo: Cost of Living/Flickr
The 80-year-old was returning home – in pouring rain - to Sassari after spending the evening with friends at a pizzeria in Alghero, Sardinia, but took the wrong direction on the SS 291.
Severe storms caused flash floods in Milan on Monday. Photo: YouReporter
A hospital accident and emergency unit was flooded, while the River Lambro burst its banks.