Five-person team to fight Expo corruption
Published: 17 Jun 2014 08:58 GMT+02:00
- Italians invited to whistle-blow on Expo 2015 (11 Jun 14)
Giuseppe Sala, the Expo Commissioner, said the team will be coordinated by magistrate Raffaele Cantone, who was appointed to head up Italy’s Anti-Corruption Authority (ANAC) earlier this year, according to a report on The Huffington Post Italia.
Sala said he will ensure Cantone has “full powers” to inspect tender competitions.
He will also meet Milan Prefect Paolo Francesco Tronca on Tuesday to discuss the move, which follows a corruption scandal at the trade fair.
Angelo Paris, the head of contracts at the exhibition, which runs between May and October next year, was arrested in May as part of an investigation into a scandal which also saw politicians, including two from Silvio Berlusconi’s party, allegedly taking bribes.
His arrest followed a “Save the Expo” summit in March, after eight people were arrested on corruption-related charges.
Meanwhile, Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi lashed out earlier this month in the wake of corruption revelations at a public project to safeguard Venice from flooding, saying corruption is tainting Italy's image.