• Italy's news in English
 
app_header_v3

Italy boat migrants top 2,500 in one weekend

AFP · 17 Nov 2014, 08:25

Published: 17 Nov 2014 08:25 GMT+01:00

More than 860 migrants, mostly Syrian families, were taken to the Sicilian port of Pozzallo Sunday, showing that many people are still ready to risk the perilous crossing from north Africa in search of a new life.

And on Sunday evening, the Italian coastguard reported it had picked up a total of 320 people off the island of Lampedusa - 240 on one boat and 80 crowded onto a dinghy.

The Italian navy rescued 150,000 people in just over a year before its Mare Nostrum search-and-rescue mission ended on November 1st after other EU governments refused to help Italy meet operational costs that Rome estimated at €9 million ($11.25 million) a month.

The mostly Syrian refugees landed in Pozzallo on Sunday included an unusually high proportion of children, the Italian news agency Ansa reported. Around 100 of the migrants were from Morocco, a country not usually represented among the people landing in Italy.

On Saturday a total of 477 migrants were delivered to Porto Empedocle on Sicily's southern coast by Panamanian tanker the Gaz Concord and a navy patrol boat put 354 ashore at Pozzallo.

Story continues below…

Greek oil tanker Byzantion picked up 230 people from their distressed boat on Friday evening and another 80 were taken ashore off the heel of Italy after the yacht in which they had travelled from Turkey was intercepted by coastguards.

Another navy boat, the Vega, was due in the mainland port of Reggio Calabria on Monday morning with a load of 230 migrants.

For more news from Italy, join us on Facebook and Twitter.

Your comments about this article

Today's headlines
And Lonely Planet's 3rd 'must visit' Europe destination is...
This Italian town is a 'must see' this year. Photo: Gatnau/Flickr

Drumroll, please.

Plush Sardinian resort serves Harrods with eviction notice
Harrods has been told it cannot open in Sardinia this year. Photo: Rick Payette/Tony Sheng/Hl_1001/Flickr

“Everybody, including Harrods, needs to obey the same rules."

Italian football hooligan gets 26 years for rival fan's murder
Daniele De Santis has been found guilty of killing a Napoli fan ahead of the Italian Cup final in 2014. Photos: Rome police/AFP

Daniele De Santis, a Roma 'ultra' and right-wing militant, was on Tuesday found guilty of killing 31-year-old Ciro Esposito.

GO! Italians asked to vote on coveted Monopoly locations
Photo: Jonathan Lin/Flickr

The classic board game is getting an Italian makeover - and you can have a say in how the finished board looks.

Meredith Kercher's convicted killer gets 36 hours of freedom
Rudy Guede has been granted 36 hours temporary release from prison. Photo: Tiziana Fabi/The Local

Rudy Guede, the man currently serving a 16-year jail sentence for the 2008 murder of 21 year old British exchange student Meredith Kercher, has been given 36 hours of temporary release from prison as a reward for good behaviour.

Largest show of Banksy's works opens in Rome
An exhibition featuring 120 works by Banksy has opened in Rome. Photo: Thomas Coex/AFP

But will the elusive artist put in an appearance?

Over 2,000 stricken migrants rescued in the Mediterranean
More than 2,000 people have been rescued in the Mediterranean. Photo: Ricardo Garcia Vilanova/AFP

So far this year more than 34,000 people have been brought to the Italian coast after being rescued off Libya.

Alleged Portuguese, Russian 'spies' arrested in Rome
A senior Portuguese intelligence officer has been arrested in Rome along with a Russian. Photo: Raffaele Esposito

A source close to the case said the secrets allegedly passed on concerned the European Union and Nato, of which Portugal is a member.

How the brutal murder of an anti-mafia hero altered Sicily
Anti-mafia judge Giovanni Falcone was murdered in 1992. Photo: Gerard Fouet/AFP

Monday marked the 24th anniversary since the Sicilian judge and anti-mafia campaigner, Giovanni Falcone, was assassinated after a bomb was placed under his car on a highway near the town of Capaci.

Euro 2016
Pirlo and Balotelli missing as Conte finetunes Italy squad
Antonio Conte has cut cut several Euro 2016 hopefuls from a preliminary squad. Photo: Fredrik Varfjell/AFP

It now looks certain that neither Andrea Pirlo or Mario Balotelli will feature at Euro 2016.

National
Why Italians are falling out of love with the EU
Business & Money
Foreign, female and a self-made success in arduous Italy
National
How Italy's richest region is feeling the migrant strain
Culture
Rome mulls 'metro museum' after new line unearths ruin
Sponsored Article
Eat, learn, live: unforgettable holidays in France
National
Why Italy's facing a birth rate apocalypse
National
Why talk of barriers is opening up old wounds in South Tyrol
Culture
Huge Roman villa found under Amalfi church set to open
Travel
Two men kicked off plane in what captain calls 'racist act'
Meet the expats making a career out of Italian food
Society
'Staying single is why I'm the world's oldest person'
Travel
Where can you find the best beaches in Italy?
The ultimate guide to the insanity of driving in Italy
Travel
Eight of Rome's most tantalizing foreign food gems
Migrant arrivals in Italy top 30,000 for 2016: navy
Italy’s deadliest earthquakes over the last 100 years
Travel
US passports now need six months validity for Italy
Travel
Six incredible ways Italy profoundly changed my life
Society
Cheese, wine and family: the Italian way to live beyond 100
Culture
7 breathtaking alternatives to Italy's tourist hotspots
Politics
Long-term Brit in Italy barred from EU vote vows to fight on
Health
Why Italian merry widows perk up after husbands die
2,523
jobs available