Italy's culture minister Dario Franceschini pictured earlier this year. Photo: Tiziana Fabi/AFP
Italy urges action against Isis antiquities dealing
AFP · 8 Dec 2015, 17:01
Published: 08 Dec 2015 17:01 GMT+01:00
Germany, Italy and France called on Tuesday for the European Union to crack down on the illegal trade in antiquities used to bankroll attacks by the Islamic State group.
The culture ministers of the three countries wrote in a letter to the European Commission urging concerted measures against the illicit trade in cultural treasures for the benefit of the jihadist group.
"By taking part directly or indirectly in the trade in cultural artifacts from archaeological digs, museums and libraries finance their (Isis's) atrocities in the region and in Europe," Monika Gruetters, Dario Franceschini and Fleur Pellerin wrote.
They said they had agreed at a meeting of EU culture ministers on November 24th, in the wake of last month's deadly Isis assault in Paris, that it was "high time for Europe... to take more effective action against these attacks on our cultural heritage and the trade in cultural assets".
Among steps the ministers called for were uniform EU import and export rules, more reliable certification of traded antiquities and expedited means to return plundered goods to their countries of origin.
In territory it controls in Iraq and Syria, Isis finances itself through means including oil smuggling, extortion, kidnapping for ransom and selling looted antiquities.
The United States and Russia said last week that they were drafting UN resolutions aimed at ramping up global efforts to choke off Isis's sources of financing.
The proposed new Security Council measures would build on a resolution adopted in February that sought to cut off millions of dollars in earnings from IS smuggling of oil and antiquities.
For more news from Italy, join us on
The man's body was found at his home in Cagliari, Sardinia. Photo: Simon Frost
"Nobody questioned his disappearance, nobody went looking for him."
The latest disaster comes two days after five people died while trying to make the crossing to Italy. Photo: Marinare Militare
Between 20 to 30 people have drowned in the latest migrant shipwreck off Libya.
Migrants await rescue off the Libyan coast on Wednesday. Photo: Gabriel Bouys/AFP
After the baby girl's parents died at sea, hundreds of Italians have asked to adopt the baby girl.
A remote Sardinian beach home to 60 cats, has been named one of Sardinia's best tourist attractions. Photo: I Gatti Su Pallosu
Visitors think the cat sanctuary near the tiny fishing hamlet of Su Pallosu is the cat's whiskers.
Photo: Claudio Giovannini/AFP
The accident is thought to be down to human error.
Italian marines Salvatore Girone (L) and Massimiliano Latorre (R) pictured in Kochi, India, in December 2012. Photo: Strdel/AFP
Under his new bail conditions, Salvatore Girone must return to Delhi within one month if the PCA rules that he face trial in India.
The operation wound up late on Wednesday without finding any further survivors or victims.
The threats were accompanied by photos of the monuments and written in Italian, French and Arabic. Photo: Jason Howie/Flickr
The two men had downloaded an online "manual" which covered the production of home-made explosives, carrying weapons and operating clandestinely on the internet.
500 people were pulled to safety and seven bodies recovered after a heavily crowded boat overturned off the Libyan coast. Photo: Gabriel Buoys/AFP
UPDATED: The navy said at least 550 people had been pulled to safety but added that the rescue operation was still underway and that the death toll could rise.
Some call it home: the island of Budelli, Sardinia. Photo: Luca Giudicatti
"Without him, the island's ecosystem would be severely compromised by now."