The Radicali Italiani party has called for a referendum on Rome's Olympic bid. Photo: Gabriel Buoys/AFP
Opponents want public vote on Rome 2024 bid
AFP · 7 Jan 2016, 16:46
Published: 07 Jan 2016 16:46 GMT+01:00
Rome's bid to host the 2024 Olympics was
challenged on Thursday when the Radicali Italiani political party launched calls
for a referendum, describing the Games as a "very risky bet".
The party launched its campaign on www.referendumroma2024.it, detailing actual costs incurred by the last 50 Olympics hosts and claiming it would cost Italian taxpayers "billions of euros".
It noted that Davos (Switzerland), Krakow (Poland), Oslo, Monaco and Hamburg (Germany) had all decided not to bid for 2024 following consultation with the public via debate or referendums, and said Rome should do the same.
"The candidature is official, it has the political and financial support of the government, you would think that everything's already been decided," said a statement by Radicali Italiani.
"But in fact, there is still time for public debate on the costs and benefits of a project that will cost us billions of euros in taxes."
Rome, Paris, Budapest and Los Angeles are all in the running to host the Games in 2024 although a number of other cities pulled out due to a lack of public support following referendums.
The Radicali Italiani party's secretary Riccardo Magi said "such an important decision for the future of the capital should be taken by the public."
"This is why we're asking Presidente (Matteo) Renzi to offer a referendum, as has been done in many other cities keen on becoming candidates."
The party notably underlined the spiralling costs of hosting the Games, claiming it cost London 2012 organizers £8.77 billion to host the Games in 2012 - over three times the estimated budget of £2.4 bn.
"Costs have always risen in respect to initial estimations, in some cases by 800%, with obvious consequences for the pockets of the citizens."
The host of the 2024 Olympics will be announced in September 2017.
For more news from Italy, join us on
Amatrice had been due to host its Amatriciana pasta festival this weekend. Photo: Angela Giuffrida
The Lazio town of Amatrice was the hardist-hit by Wednesday's devastating earthquake. The Local's Angela Giuffrida visited what is left of the town on Friday.
More than 280 people were killed in the 6.2-magnitude earthquake that struck on August 24. Photo: Andreas Solaro /AFP
Flags flew at half mast across Italy on Saturday as the country observed a day of mourning for the victims of an earthquake that killed nearly 300 people.
Collapsed buildings in Amatrice. Photo: Andreas Solaro/AFP
No survivors have been found since Thursday.
A suitcase in the rubble of a collapsed home in Amatrice. Photo: Angela Giuffrida/The Local
A team of specialist rescue workers from Shanghai is searching for 15 people unaccounted for in Amatrice, the Lazio town torn apart by Wednesday's devastating earthquake.
A damaged church in Amatrice. Photo: Filippo Monteforte/AFP
Italy's museums will donate all money raised from ticket sales on Sunday to help restore cultural treasures damaged or destroyed by Wednesday’s 6.0 magnitude in central Italy.
A refugee dines at a makeshift camp in central Italy. Photo: Mario Laporta/AFP
"Because even in these dire cases it's important to give a good meal to those who have lost everything."
An earthquake victim beds down at a makeshift shelter in Amatrice. Photo: Marco Zepatella/AFP
An estimated 2,500 people have lost their homes following the 6.0 magnitude earthquake which hit central Italy on Wednesday.
An aftershock measuring 4.8 struck Amatrice again on Friday morning. Photo: Filippo Monteforte/AFP
The small town of Amatrice was hit by another aftershock, measuring 4.8 in magnitude, on Friday morning, causing more damage in the centre of the town where at least 193 were killed in Wednesday’s devastating earthquake.
Rescuers continued their search for bodies on Friday morning. Photo: Filippo Monteforte/AFP
At least eight foreigners, including three Britons, a Spanish national, a Canadian and a citizen from El Salvador, were among the 250 people killed when a powerful earthquake struck central Italy this week, officials said, as rescuers continued the grim search for corpses on Friday.
Volunteers join rescue services in Amatrice. Photo: Filippo Monteforte/AFP
UPDATED: The death toll from a powerful earthquake in central Italy was revised downwards to 241 on Thursday but officials cautioned it could rise again as rescuers continued a grim search for corpses, as powerful aftershocks rocked the devastated area.