The money was allegedly laundered through individuals and companies in Italy and overseas. Photo: Gabriel Buoys/AFP
Italy arrests former prelate over €30 million fraud
AFP · 10 Feb 2016, 17:45
Published: 10 Feb 2016 17:45 GMT+01:00
Italian police on Wednesday announced the arrest of a retired cleric suspected of having defrauded investors of €30 million.
Argentinian-born Patrizio Benvenuti, 64, former military chaplain in Italy who retired to the Canary Islands, had won the confidence of investors due to his work in the Vatican's legal tribunal.
He has been placed under house arrest.
A European arrest warrant has also been issued for one of his close collaborators, 54-year-old French Christian Ventisette, a businessman involved in finance and property.
The inquiry has identified nine suspected accomplices and nearly 300 victims, most of them elderly people living abroad.
They sent money "in the hope of entrusting their savings to finance and property sector experts as well as with the will to contribute to and help the humanitarian foundation Kepha," run by Benvenuti, the financial police said in a press release.
Roughly €30 million of the money was allegedly laundered through individuals and companies in Italy and overseas.
The suspected fraud was exposed by a nun who used to work with Benvenuti.
Italian police have since seized an eight-million euro villa in Piombino, facing Elba island on Italy's Tuscan coast, as well as an archaeological site in Sicily among other property.
The European warrant also calls for the seizure of a magnificent villa on the French island of Corsica.
For more news from Italy, join us on
’I hope to come and see you,’ the pope said. Photo: Vincenzo Pinto /AFP
Pope Francis said Sunday he wanted to visit some of the central Italian villages devastated in this week's
earthquake, as survivors and rescue workers dug in for the long haul with winter approaching.
Amatrice had been due to host its Amatriciana pasta festival this weekend. Photo: Angela Giuffrida
The Lazio town of Amatrice was the hardist-hit by Wednesday's devastating earthquake. The Local's Angela Giuffrida visited what is left of the town on Friday.
More than 280 people were killed in the 6.2-magnitude earthquake that struck on August 24. Photo: Andreas Solaro /AFP
Flags flew at half mast across Italy on Saturday as the country observed a day of mourning for the victims of an earthquake that killed nearly 300 people.
Collapsed buildings in Amatrice. Photo: Andreas Solaro/AFP
No survivors have been found since Thursday.
A suitcase in the rubble of a collapsed home in Amatrice. Photo: Angela Giuffrida/The Local
A team of specialist rescue workers from Shanghai is searching for 15 people unaccounted for in Amatrice, the Lazio town torn apart by Wednesday's devastating earthquake.
A damaged church in Amatrice. Photo: Filippo Monteforte/AFP
Italy's museums will donate all money raised from ticket sales on Sunday to help restore cultural treasures damaged or destroyed by Wednesday’s 6.0 magnitude in central Italy.
A refugee dines at a makeshift camp in central Italy. Photo: Mario Laporta/AFP
"Because even in these dire cases it's important to give a good meal to those who have lost everything."
An earthquake victim beds down at a makeshift shelter in Amatrice. Photo: Marco Zepatella/AFP
An estimated 2,500 people have lost their homes following the 6.0 magnitude earthquake which hit central Italy on Wednesday.
An aftershock measuring 4.8 struck Amatrice again on Friday morning. Photo: Filippo Monteforte/AFP
The small town of Amatrice was hit by another aftershock, measuring 4.8 in magnitude, on Friday morning, causing more damage in the centre of the town where at least 193 were killed in Wednesday’s devastating earthquake.
Rescuers continued their search for bodies on Friday morning. Photo: Filippo Monteforte/AFP
At least eight foreigners, including three Britons, a Spanish national, a Canadian and a citizen from El Salvador, were among the 250 people killed when a powerful earthquake struck central Italy this week, officials said, as rescuers continued the grim search for corpses on Friday.