SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIMINAL

Italian exile faces exit after Brazil court ruling

An Italian former ultra-leftist wanted in his country for murder could face deportation from Brazil after a court upheld his conviction for use of a fake passport.

Italian exile faces exit after Brazil court ruling
Italian writer and former extreme-left wing militant Cesare Battisti. Photo: Christophe Simon/AFP

The ruling rejecting Cesare Battista's appeal will now be passed on to the Justice Ministry which will have to decide whether the 58-year-old Italian should be deported, a spokeswoman for the Brasilia court told AFP.

Battisti was convicted by an Italian court in 1993 and sentenced in absentia to life imprisonment for involvement in four murders in the 1970s when he was a left-wing activist. He denies committing those crimes.

"In theory, the law calls for any foreigner who entered Brazil with a false passport to be deported. Battisti himself admitted that the stamps on his passport were fake, hence the rejection of his appeal," the spokeswoman said.

"However he has been granted political asylum in Brazil. The court's decision will be relayed to the justice ministry which will have to rule," she added.

On February 2010, a Rio judge sentenced Battisti to a two-year detention in a minimum-security jail for use of a fake passport.

But on December 31 2010, just before leaving office, then president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva granted him political asylum.

Battisti, a onetime member of the radical Armed Proletarians for Communism group, had been held for four years near Brasilia pending a decision on an Italian extradition request.

He was released in June 2011, hours after the Supreme Court rejected the extradition request, enraging Rome.

"Battisti's extradition was rejected by the Supreme Court but this (latest court) ruling could change things," the spokeswoman said.

She added that Battisti's lawyers could appeal.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

SPAIN

Suspect in Spain police slaying agrees to be extradited to Italy

A Serbian-born man arrested in Spain over the killing of three men agreed on Sunday to be extradited to Italy where he is wanted for robbery and murder, a Spanish court said.

Suspect in Spain police slaying agrees to be extradited to Italy
Officers at the scene in the aftermath of the shooting. Photo: Guardia Civil/Twitter

Police arrested Norbert Feher on Friday in a rural area of Teruel province in the northeastern region of Aragon, where the slaying of two police officers and a rancher happened a day earlier.

During questioning by a judge, the 36-year-old said he had been in Spain since September and agreed to be sent back to Italy, the Superior Court of Justice of Aragon said in a statement.

The court said Italy could ask for him to be temporarily returned so he could stand trial for homicide and robberies before serving a possible prison sentence in Spain for the triple murder.

The Spanish judge took the testimony of Feher, who Italian media said was nicknamed “Igor the Russian”, to comply with a European arrest warrant Italy had issued for him.

Spanish police said he was in possession of three firearms at the time of his arrest, two belonging to the slain officers.