10 people sick in Genoa after eating toxic pesto

Author thumbnail
22 Jul, 2013 Updated Mon 22 Jul 2013 16:38 CEST
image alt text

Ten people have been admitted to hospital in the northern city of Genoa after eating poisonous pesto sauce.


The contaminated jars of the pasta sauce were thought to have contained the bacterium botulinum, a toxin which attacks a person’s nerves, local newspaper Il Secolo XIX reported. The symptoms include blurred vision, slurred speech and muscle weakness.

Ten people, including one child, are recovering in hospital after eating the sauce. A further 70 were seen by doctors and then dismissed, the newspaper said.

Hundreds of people have contacted health services for more information about the scare.

The news comes just two days after laboratory tests found a contaminated jar at local producer Bruzzone e Ferrari. The company immediately pulled all remaining jars of pesto from the shelves.



2013/07/22 16:38

Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also