Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland
Advertisement

Bomb alert at US consulate in Milan

Share this article

Bomb alert at US consulate in Milan
Photo: Joe Campbell/Flickr
18:50 CEST+02:00
A bomb alert that forced the evacuation of a US consulate in Italy on Tuesday has been lifted, reports said, amid fears of an imminent Al-Qaeda attack.

The alert was raised after a suspicious package was found at the consulate in the Italian business hub of Milan, but no explosives were found, according to leading daily Corriere della Sera.

The ANSA news agency said earlier that the consulate had received a letter referring to an explosive device.

"The US Consulate has re-opened and is operating normally. We are grateful for the prompt and professional response by Italian authorities," said Jen Psaki, spokeswoman for the US State Department.

The United States has closed two dozen US embassies in the Middle East and north Africa after its spies intercepted militant communications, reportedly including an attack order from Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri.

On Tuesday it evacuated dozens of diplomatic staff from Yemen after its spies intercepted militant communications, reportedly including an attack order from Zawahiri.

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jobs
Click here to start your job search
Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular articles

Advertisement
Advertisement