SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Father kills son during family row

A domestic argument ended in tragedy when a father killed in son, leaving his daughter to find the body.

Father kills son during family row
The murder in Emilia-Romagna came just days after another father killed his son in Italy. Photo: Rosie Scammell/The Local

Giuseppe Paolino, 72, stabbed his son Nunzio on Wednesday afternoon at their home in Sant’Alberto, in Italy’s central Emilia-Romagna region,  Italian media reported.

He then smoked a cigarette before taking an axe to his son’s body, according to a report in Corriere del Mezzogiorno.

The pensioner called the police to confess to the crime before phoning his daughter who lives nearby, Ravenna Today said.

Paolino’s daughter was the first to arrive on the scene and was soon taken away in an ambulance, suffering from shock, the news site said.

Her father, covered in blood and with a bandaged arm and hands, was held by police.

The pensioner had been living with his 36-year-old son for some time. His son was unemployed and the pair reportedly often fought over money.

The murder comes just days after another Italian pensioner killed his son.

On Sunday morning, 79-year-old Ezio Murtas shot and killed the 40-year-old, a labourer, after a row at their home in Escolca, Sardinia, La Nuova Sardegna reported. 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

New York returns millions worth of stolen art to Italy

Prosecutors in New York on Tuesday returned dozens of antiquities stolen from Italy and valued at around $19 million, some of which were found in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

New York returns millions worth of stolen art to Italy

“These 58 pieces represent thousands of years of rich history, yet traffickers throughout Italy utilized looters to steal these items and to line their own pockets,” said Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg, noting that it was the third such repatriation in nine months.

“For far too long, they have sat in museums, homes, and galleries that had no rightful claim to their ownership,” he said at a ceremony attended by Italian diplomats and law enforcement officials.

The stolen items had been sold to Michael Steinhardt, one of the world’s leading collectors of ancient art, the DA’s office said, adding that he had been slapped with a “first-of-its-kind lifetime ban on acquiring antiquities.”

READ ALSO

Among the recovered treasures, which in some cases were sold to “unwitting collectors and museums,” were a marble head of the Greek goddess Athena from 200 B.C.E. and a drinking cup dating back to 470 B.C.E, officials said.

The pieces were stolen at the behest of four men who “all led highly lucrative criminal enterprises – often in competition with one another – where they would use local looters to raid archaeological sites throughout Italy, many of which were insufficiently guarded,” the DA’s office said.

One of them, Pasquale Camera, was “a regional crime boss who organized thefts from museums and churches as early as the 1960s. He then began purchasing stolen artifacts from local looters and sold them to antiquities dealers,” it added.

It said that this year alone, the DA’s office has “returned nearly 300 antiquities valued at over $66 million to 12 countries.”

SHOW COMMENTS