Artichoke 'explodes' in Italian woman's hand

Share this article

The explosion may have been caused by fertilizer. Photo: jewel o' the desert/Flickr
12:35 CET+01:00
A woman in northern Italy got a shock after an artichoke she had just bought exploded, Italian media reported.

The woman, from the village of Olginate, in Italy’s Lombardy region, was slicing into the artichoke at home when it is exploded, La Repubblica said on Thursday.

Rendered speechless by the explosion, she went to her husband and daughter, who decided to phone the police and the local supermarket.

The woman was not injured in the explosion, but noticed afterwards that the artichoke leaves were left damaged and burnt.

The explosion could have been caused by a chemical reaction of the fertilizer used on the artichoke, La Repubblica said.

Police have since opened an investigation, while the supermarket has taken its crop of artichokes off the shelf.

Story continues below…

Remarkably, this is not the first incident of an exploding artichoke in Italy, with similar cases recorded in 2003 and 2008.

Don't miss a story about Italy - Join us on Facebook and Twitter.

Share this article

From our sponsors

Last chance to vote absentee in the US elections

Election Day in the U.S. is less than a month away, and time is running out for Americans living overseas to vote absentee. Here's what to do before it’s too late.


Popular articles