SHARE
COPY LINK
VIDEO

FOOTBALL

Florence’s historic football film wins award

Three video journalists have seen their film Calcio Storico, which looks at an early form of football dating back to Florence in the 1500s, awarded third best "short feature" at the prestigious World Press Photo Awards.

Florence's historic football film wins award
Currently, a Calcio Fiorentino tournament is held every year. Screenshot: Vimeo

Co-directors David Airob and David Ramos, as well as sound designer and multimedia editor Jose Bautista, have received the "Golden Eye" awards and diplomas for their achievements from the World Press Photo, the Amsterdam-based organizer of the world's leading contest in visual journalism.

World Press Photo jury chair Jassim Ahmad, global head of multimedia innovation at Reuters, noted that multimedia was an increasingly popular format.

“It is remarkable that the number of entries to the contest has increased by one third since last year. The overall quality of submissions indicates that many more have a grasp of visual media – a promising indicator of things to come," he said.

He added: "There is clearly no one model for success in the practice. You can work in teams large and small, with the support of a major organisation or local community. The smallest stories can speak to wider truths. The possibilities of multimedia are immense.”

SEE ALSO: Italian wins prize for 'train surfing' video

The Spanish entry, Calcio Storico, tells the story of the Calcio Fiorentino, an early form of football, originally played only by the aristocracy.

Currently, a Calcio Fiorentino tournament is held every year, on the third week of June at Piazza Santa Croce in Florence.

Four teams play against each other to the finals that take place every year on June 24th, the day of San Giovanni, the patron saint of Florence.

This historic game had not been played for 200 years until the tradition was revived in the 1930s.       

Watch the award-winning film:

By Steve Tallantyre

Don't miss a story about Italy – Join us on Facebook and Twitter.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

FLORENCE

British man found dead in Florence hotel named as ex-rugby league player

A man found dead in a hotel room in Florence was named by Italian media on Sunday as British former rugby league player Ricky Bibey.

British man found dead in Florence hotel named as ex-rugby league player

A man was found dead on Saturday in the Hotel Continentale after a woman he was with cried out for help, according to unconfirmed media reports.

Italian news outlets have identified the victim as Ricky Bibey, a two-time Challenge Cup winner with Wigan Warriors and St Helens. Police have yet to confirm the dead man’s identity.

Super League tweeted it was “saddened to hear of the passing of Ricky Bibey”.

“We thank Ricky for his contributions to the game and send our condolences to Ricky’s family and friends during this time”.

A maid rushed in to find the 43-year old woman bleeding heavily from serious injuries, and she was rushed to hospital, La Nazione daily newspaper said.

Bibey, 40, appeared to have died of a heart attack, it said.

Other guests at the Continentale, just next to the Tuscan city’s famous Ponte Vecchio bridge, reportedly heard shouts coming from the room.

Police seized objects including items possibly used in an erotic game, La Nazione said.

SHOW COMMENTS