SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Italian mother ‘stabs disabled son to death’

A mother in Naples, southern Italy, has been accused of beating and stabbing her disabled son to death before attempting to take her own life, Italian media reported on Tuesday.

Italian mother 'stabs disabled son to death'
The mother is now in hospital in a critical condition. Photo: Rosie Scammell

The tragedy happened in Afragola, a city in the province of Naples, Italian local daily Il Mattino reported.

According to the paper, the mother, aged 59, hit her disabled son several times on the head with a hammer. She then lay him down on the bed before stabbing him in the throat with a kitchen knife. The woman then attempted to take her own life with the same knife and is now in hospital in a critical condition.

Her 23-year-old son, identified only as M.G. by La Repubblica, had been disabled since birth. 

The two were discovered around 2.00pm by the woman’s daughter when she returned from work.

Last month, a woman in northern Italy killed her three children, reportedly telling police afterwards that she was "desperate" and in poverty after her husband left the family.

Also in March, a woman from the southern Italian region of Calabria allegedly stabbed her 11-year-old son to death over her husband's affair.

Don't miss a story about Italy – Join us on Facebook and Twitter.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

 Italian police arrest mafia member after three women killed in Rome

Italian police on Saturday arrested a mafia member suspected of killing two alleged Chinese prostitutes and a Colombian sex worker in Rome, local media reported.

 Italian police arrest mafia member after three women killed in Rome

The bodies of the two Chinese women were discovered in a residential building in the upmarket Prati district on Thursday morning, while the body of the South American was found in an apartment in the same neighbourhood an hour later.

All three victims were stabbed, according to Italian media reports.

According to the Corriere della Sera newspaper, footage from surveillance cameras allowed police to identify 51-year-old Giandavide De Pau, who had been prosecuted in the past for drug trafficking and sexual assault.

The suspect is reportedly a member of a mafia clan headed by Michele Senese, who is currently serving a life sentence. De Pau is believed to have been one of Senese’s closest collaborators, acting as his personal driver and handyman.

In 2008 and 2011, the suspect had also spent time in a psychiatric hospital.

It is unknown whether the suspected killer was carrying out a mafia hit or acting alone, possibly under the influence of drugs, which were found at the home of some family members where he is believed to have sought refuge after the police manhunt got underway, Corriere della Sera reported.

Several newspapers had warned of a possible “serial killer” in the Italian capital.

The body of one of the Chinese victims was spotted by a neighbour where it lay, naked on a landing. The woman, believed to be in her 40s, had suffered head and stomach injuries, the newspaper said.

When police entered her apartment, they found the body of the second Chinese woman.

Nobody in the building appeared to have heard the murders take place, according to residents.

“Everybody knew there was a house of ill repute here, I’d see people arriving at 2:00 am, 3:00 am,” a woman who lived in the building told reporters.

The body of the Colombian, who was 65, was found by a friend, Corriere della Sera said.

SHOW COMMENTS