Bones found in hunt for boy missing since 1990

Share this article

The remains have been taken for analysis as police continue the search. Police photo: Shutterstock
16:44 CEST+02:00
Bones and shreds of clothing found this week in southern Italy are thought to belong to an eight-year-old boy who went missing in 1990. The discovery was made after a suicide note prompted investigators to reopen the case.

Pasqualino Porfidia went missing after playing football with his friends in Marcianise, his hometown in the Campania region, on the morning of May 7th 1990. Despite appeals on national television, the eight-year-old boy was never found.

But on Wednesday afternoon investigators found bones and shreds of clothing under a courtyard on the edge of the town, thought to belong to Porfidia, Il Mattino reported on Thursday.

Officers and police dogs are due to continue the search tomorrow, while the remains already found are taken for analysis.

The potential breakthrough follows the case being reopened in March, after a suicide note led the family’s lawyer to believe that Porfidia may have been killed by a paedophile.

In 2012 a 30-year-old man committed suicide in Milan, leaving a note in which he said he had been sexually abused as a boy living in Marcianise. The man wrote that he had been abused in a field by someone who would pick him up from school, La Repubblica said.

Story continues below…

The accusations from someone who would have been Porfidia’s age at the time of the abuse, living in the same place, were enough to prompt authorities to reopen the investigation, the newspaper said.

Don't miss a story about Italy - Join us on Facebook and Twitter.

Share this article

From our sponsors

Last chance to vote absentee in the US elections

Election Day in the U.S. is less than a month away, and time is running out for Americans living overseas to vote absentee. Here's what to do before it’s too late.


Popular articles