The Commissione di Garanzie Sciopero (CGSSE), or strike authority, said the walkout, planned on June 11th by unions CGIL, CISL and UIL went against the ten-day interval rule between two strikes, as the USB union has already announced a strike on June 19th.
Despite the rule, some unionists plan to go ahead with the walkout on June 11th, Il Sole 24 Ore reported.
Unions CGIL, CISL and UIL confirmed on Tuesday that they would go ahead with the walkout unless Prime Minister Matteo Renzi had a rethink over €150 million cuts to the state broadcaster.
But just hours later CISL, led by secretary Raffaele Bonanni, pulled out of the strike and instead announced the union was willing to “open dialogue on the future of the company”, Il Sole said.
Last month Renzi announced cuts to Rai, part of a broader government spending review aimed at tackling public sector waste.
Speaking on one of the broadcaster’s talk shows, the prime minister said Rai “must participate” in the round of cuts.
“We have started to reduce the cost of politics…does it seem normal that Rai is the only state enterprise that can pretend it doesn’t have to do anything?” he said in May.