Three migrants drown trying to reach Italy

Share this article

The Italian authorities intercept a migrant boat in 2013. More than 50,000 migrants have landed in Italy by sea so far this year. Photo: HO/Italian Coast Guard/AFP
12:44 CEST+02:00
Three migrants drowned and six more were missing in the Mediterranean off Italy, the coastguard said on Tuesday, the latest deadly incidents to hit refugees making the treacherous sea crossing from north Africa to Europe.

Three people perished and two more were washed away when their inflatable dinghy approached a Maltese oil tanker coming to their aid, the emergency services said.

In a separate incident, four migrants from the Central African Republic fell from a rope ladder connecting a merchant ship with their stricken vessel and were swept away, according to the ship's captain.

Two suspected smugglers were arrested after arriving with rescued refugees at the Sicilian port of Pozzallo, Italian news agency ANSA reported.

The incidents follow the arrival of 2,000 migrants in Italy on Monday after an international operation to rescue refugees packed into 25 boats travelling from Libya.

Rome says more than 50,000 migrants have landed in Italy by sea so far this year, a similar number to those who arrived in all of 2013.

Story continues below…

READ MORE: Pregnant migrants and babies saved by Italy

Share this article

From our sponsors

Last chance to vote absentee in the US elections

Election Day in the U.S. is less than a month away, and time is running out for Americans living overseas to vote absentee. Here's what to do before it’s too late.


Popular articles