Man dies after cocaine bag breaks in stomach

A 44-year-old Italian died at Venice airport earlier this week after an ingested cocaine-filled bag ruptured in his stomach.

Man dies after cocaine bag breaks in stomach
The man died at Venice's Marco Polo airport. Photo: BrownPau/Wikipedia

The man, named as Stefano Gaviolo by La Nuova di Venezia e Mestre, fell ill shortly after arriving at Marco Polo airport from Brazil on Monday evening, the newspaper said.

He was later found slumped on the ground of a toilet in the arrivals area by another passenger, who alerted emergency services. He was dead by the time he reached the emergency room, the newspaper said,

An autopsy revealed that Gavioli, from Bolzano, had ingested 90 bags containing cocaine. He died of an overdose after one of the bags ruptured.

Gavioli reportedly had several previous drugs-related convictions.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.