'Suarez ban is excessive': Giorgio Chiellini

Share this article

Uruguay's striker Luis Suarez, right, bit Italian opponent Giorgio Chiellini, left. Photo: Daniel Garcia/AFP
14:06 CEST+02:00
The Italian defender bitten by Luis Suarez earlier this week has said the four-month football ban handed to the Uruguayan striker is “excessive”.

Giorgio Chiellini tweeted on Friday that the four-month ban is too harsh, and added: "Now inside me there's no feelings of joy, revenge or anger against Suarez for an incident that happened on the pitch."

Suarez sunk his teeth into Chiellini's shoulder during Italy's final group stage match against Uruguay on Tuesday night, which saw the Azzurri crash out of the tournament after losing 1-0.

Suarez, 27, was also suspended for nine games by FIFA and told to pay a €82,203) fine over the incident.

FIFA said on Thursday: “Such behaviour cannot be tolerated on any football pitch, and in particular not at a FIFA World Cup when the eyes of millions of people are on the stars on the field.”

Meanwhile, Uruguay's Football Association said on Friday they would appeal against the ban, which takes effect from Uruguay's quarter-finals game against Colombia on Saturday.

Story continues below…

Former Argentina player Diego Maradona, who is currently fighting tax evasion accusations in Italy, waded into the debate, saying the punishment was "shameful".

Share this article

From our sponsors

Last chance to vote absentee in the US elections

Election Day in the U.S. is less than a month away, and time is running out for Americans living overseas to vote absentee. Here's what to do before it’s too late.


Popular articles