The parents, who are both recovering drug addicts, took their child to hospital with a fever and red eyes on October 16th, Il Corriere di Veneto reported.
At first doctors were unable to tell what was wrong with the child. It was only when the blood test came back that they discovered the baby had, in fact, ingested cocaine.
The parents now face charges of abuse, and their child has been taken into a secure facility for the duration of the investigation by order of Venice’s Juvenile Court.
Police found no traces of the drug when they searched the couple’s home on October 27th.
According to Corriere, it is possible that the parents did not wash their hands after using cocaine before touching the child. The mother claims that she never took drugs while pregnant.
This isn’t the first time a child has been admitted to hospital with a cocaine overdose in Italy.
In April, a mother of three in Sicily was jailed after her toddler son was admitted to hospital with bruises, scratches, burns and a cocaine overdose.
In France earlier this month, a ten-month-old baby was rushed to hospital after ingesting a lump of cannabis belonging to her father.