SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Italian baby tests positive for cocaine

The parents of a six-month-old child in Padua, northern Italy, are being investigated by police after their baby tested positive for cocaine.

Italian baby tests positive for cocaine
Doctors discovered traces of cocaine in the baby's blood. Cocaine photo: Shutterstock

The parents, who are both recovering drug addicts, took their child to hospital with a fever and red eyes on October 16th, Il Corriere di Veneto reported.

At first doctors were unable to tell what was wrong with the child. It was only when the blood test came back that they discovered the baby had, in fact, ingested cocaine.

The parents now face charges of abuse, and their child has been taken into a secure facility for the duration of the investigation by order of Venice’s Juvenile Court.

Police found no traces of the drug when they searched the couple’s home on October 27th.

According to Corriere, it is possible that the parents did not wash their hands after using cocaine before touching the child. The mother claims that she never took drugs while pregnant.

This isn’t the first time a child has been admitted to hospital with a cocaine overdose in Italy.

In April, a mother of three in Sicily was jailed after her toddler son was admitted to hospital with bruises, scratches, burns and a cocaine overdose.

In France earlier this month, a ten-month-old baby was rushed to hospital after ingesting a lump of cannabis belonging to her father.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

 Italian police arrest mafia member after three women killed in Rome

Italian police on Saturday arrested a mafia member suspected of killing two alleged Chinese prostitutes and a Colombian sex worker in Rome, local media reported.

 Italian police arrest mafia member after three women killed in Rome

The bodies of the two Chinese women were discovered in a residential building in the upmarket Prati district on Thursday morning, while the body of the South American was found in an apartment in the same neighbourhood an hour later.

All three victims were stabbed, according to Italian media reports.

According to the Corriere della Sera newspaper, footage from surveillance cameras allowed police to identify 51-year-old Giandavide De Pau, who had been prosecuted in the past for drug trafficking and sexual assault.

The suspect is reportedly a member of a mafia clan headed by Michele Senese, who is currently serving a life sentence. De Pau is believed to have been one of Senese’s closest collaborators, acting as his personal driver and handyman.

In 2008 and 2011, the suspect had also spent time in a psychiatric hospital.

It is unknown whether the suspected killer was carrying out a mafia hit or acting alone, possibly under the influence of drugs, which were found at the home of some family members where he is believed to have sought refuge after the police manhunt got underway, Corriere della Sera reported.

Several newspapers had warned of a possible “serial killer” in the Italian capital.

The body of one of the Chinese victims was spotted by a neighbour where it lay, naked on a landing. The woman, believed to be in her 40s, had suffered head and stomach injuries, the newspaper said.

When police entered her apartment, they found the body of the second Chinese woman.

Nobody in the building appeared to have heard the murders take place, according to residents.

“Everybody knew there was a house of ill repute here, I’d see people arriving at 2:00 am, 3:00 am,” a woman who lived in the building told reporters.

The body of the Colombian, who was 65, was found by a friend, Corriere della Sera said.

SHOW COMMENTS