Costa Concordia captain lays blame on crew

Share this article

Costa Concordia's captain Francesco Schettino speaking at his trial. AFP Photo/Giuseppe Cacace
10:10 CET+01:00
The Italian ex-captain of the doomed Costa Concordia claimed at his manslaughter trial Saturday that "with 30 more seconds" -- and warning from his crew -- the cruise ship's deadly crash could have been averted.

"We almost managed to avoid the rock. Imagine what could have been done with only 30 more seconds, if I had been given all the data," Francesco Schettino said, according to Italian daily Il Tirreno.

Thirty-two people lost their lives when the cruise ship sank off Italy's coast in January 2012, which subsequently resulted in charges of manslaughter, abandoning ship against Schettino. If convicted he faces up to 20 years behind bars.

During his questioning, the ex-captain pinned most of the blame for the disaster on his crew, who he claimed didn't provide him with the necessary information in time as the ship bore down on the island of Giglio.

"I am willing to take one part of the responsibility, but only one part," he said.

Story continues below…

 The Concordia, twice the size of the Titanic, was moving at a brisk 16 knots and had 4,229 people from 70 countries on board when it struck the rocks.

It hull pierced below the waterline on impact, the giant vessel slowly lumbered one way, then the other before finally sinking and settling, half-submerged on the sea-bed.

Share this article

From our sponsors

Last chance to vote absentee in the US elections

Election Day in the U.S. is less than a month away, and time is running out for Americans living overseas to vote absentee. Here's what to do before it’s too late.


Popular articles