SHARE
COPY LINK

ISIS

Mum says toddler taken to Syria by Isis dad

A mother has claimed to have recognized her three-year-old boy in photos distributed on jihadist forums promoting terrorist organization Isis (Islamic State in Iraq and Syria), more than a year after he disappeared from northern Italy.

Mum says toddler taken to Syria by Isis dad
Arabic graffiti on a wall in Iraq reads "Death to Islamic State" (Isis). Photo: Haidar Hamdani/AFP/Getty Images

Lidia Solana Herrera, who was born in Cuba, claims her son Ismail Mesinovic was kidnapped by her estranged husband and son’s father, Ismar Mesinovic, from her home in Belluno in northern Italy in November 2013.

Mesinovic, a Bosnian native, is alleged to have taken the child with him when he left Italy and volunteered to fight for Isis in Syria. The father has reportedly been killed in the conflict.

An emotional Herrera has told Italy’s Corriere della Sera she recognized the child dressed in black Isis uniform and a headscarf inscribed in Arabic through photos that have been distributed via social media networks. In another picture the child is shown carrying a small machine gun.

“That child is Ismail,” Herrera said. “I pray every day that he will be brought back to me. I hope that he will come back here beside me. I think only of him, only him.”

Herrera said she was separated from her husband and she was not suspicious when he took Ismail a year ago while she visited her relatives in Cuba, as he had previously taken the child outside Italy to visit his relatives in Bosnia and Germany.

Investigators from Italy’s anti-terrorism police in Padua and members of the secret services are now involved in the investigation regarding the child’s disappearance, according to the Italian daily La Repubblica.

The newspaper said police were conducting inquiries into a network of Islamists allegedly active in the Veneto region in northern Italy.

“I never had the faintest suspicion my husband was a terrorist,” Herrera said.

“When I knew they had left for Syria it was like everything around me fell apart. My little one in Syria…You can only imagine how a mother feels in front of news like that.”

SEE ALSO: Most Italian jihadis with Isis aren't immigrants

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

IRAQ

G7, tech giants agree on plan to block jihadist content online at Italy meeting

G7 countries and tech giants including Google, Facebook and Twitter on Friday agreed to work together to block the dissemination of Islamist extremism over the internet.

G7, tech giants agree on plan to block jihadist content online at Italy meeting
Photo: AFP

“These are the first steps towards a great alliance in the name of freedom,” Italian Interior Minister Marco Minniti said after a two-day meeting with his Group of Seven counterparts, stressing the role of the internet in extremist “recruitment, training and radicalisation.”

French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said the goal was to ensure pro-jihadist content “is taken down within two hours of it going online”.

“Our enemies are moving at the speed of a tweet and we need to counter them just as quickly,” acting US Homeland Security Secretary Elaine Duke said.

While acknowledging progress had been made, Britain's Home Secretary Amber Rudd insisted “companies need to go further and faster to not only take down extremist content but also stop it being uploaded in the first place”.

Senior executives from the internet giants and Microsoft attended the ministerial session devoted to the issue but did not offer any explanation on how they might go about clamping down on web extremists.

The meeting on the Italian island of Ischia off Naples also focused on ways to tackle one of the West's biggest security threats: jihadist fighters fleeing Syria. The European Union has promised to help close a migration route considered a potential back door for terrorists.

Tens of thousands of citizens from Western countries travelled to Syria and Iraq to fight for the Islamic State group between 2014 and 2016. Some then returned home and staged attacks that claimed dozens of lives.

Minniti warned last week that fighters planning revenge attacks following the recent collapse of the IS stronghold in Raqqa could hitch lifts back to Europe on migrant boats from Libya.

The US and Italy signed an agreement on the sidelines of the G7 meeting to share their fingerprint databases in a bid to root out potential extremists posing as asylum seekers.

The group also said international police agency Interpol — which currently holds details of nearly 40,000 foreign fighters — would play a bigger role in information sharing.

Interpol's secretary general Jürgen Stock said the agency's global databases could “act as an 'early warning system' against terrorists and crime threats and help close potential loopholes for terrorists”.

Earlier, EU President Donald Tusk promised the bloc would fork out more funds to help shut down the perilous crossing from Libya to Italy — a popular path for migrants who hope to journey on to Europe.

The EU would offer “stronger support for Italy's work with the Libyan authorities”, and there was “a real chance of closing the central Mediterranean route”, he said.

Italy has played a major role in training Libya's coastguard to stop human trafficking in its territorial waters, as well as making controversial deals with Libyan militias to stop migrants from setting off.

Minniti said the G7 ministers had discussed how to go about “de-radicalising” citizens returning from the IS frontline, to prevent them becoming security risks in jails.

READ ALSO: G7 meets in Italy as Europe braces for return of Isis recruits from Syria