Italian parliament shooter jailed for 16 years

Share this article

One officer was seriously injured at the shooting in central Rome. Photo: Simona Granati/AFP
16:25 CET+01:00
An Italian man who shot at police outside Italian parliament on Tuesday lost his appeal against his 16-year jail sentence, as judges denied he was in need of psychological assessment.

Luigi Preiti was found guilty of multiple counts of attempted murder, in addition to charges of illegally possessing and carry a weapon and stolen goods, Il Sole 24 reported.

He fired six shots at officers outside parliament on April 28th 2013, injuring four people. One policeman, Salvatore Giuseppe Giangrande, was seriously injured after being shot at close range in the neck.

The appeal court judge on Tuesday said there was no doubt Preiti had shot to kill, confirming the 16-year sentence first handed down in January 2014. He now has the possibility for a last appeal, which would take the case to Italy’s highest court.

A request by the defence for a new psychological report were rejected. A psychiatrist in 2013 said Preiti had been suffering from “a mild depressive disorder” at the time of the shooting, although said he was in control of his actions.

Story continues below…

Preiti previously said that his actions were a political protest, which took place on the day Enrico Letta was sworn in as prime minister. 

Share this article

From our sponsors

Last chance to vote absentee in the US elections

Election Day in the U.S. is less than a month away, and time is running out for Americans living overseas to vote absentee. Here's what to do before it’s too late.


Popular articles