SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Man fired for ‘Milf’ slur on Facebook

Facebook users take note: calling a colleague a “Milf” on the social networking site is a fireable offence in Italy.

Man fired for 'Milf' slur on Facebook
The comment was posted on the man’s personal Facebook profile in a post directed at his firm and colleagues. Facebook photo: Shutterstock

A man in the northern Italian province of Turin has been sacked from his job after calling a female colleague a “Milf”. 

“Milf”, which is a popular American acronym meaning “Mother I’d like to F****”, is used to refer to a sexually attractive older woman.

The comment was posted on the man’s personal Facebook profile in a post directed at his firm and colleagues.

While not denying that they had written the offending post, the employee, who has not been named, took the firm to court to get his job back.

However, the Ivrea-based court rejected his appeal, finding the employee to be in violation of articles 81 and 595 of the penal code.

The court said the post, which had been online for several days, was “extremely serious” and “potentially visible to all users of social media”.

Moreover, the post was only removed after an explicit injunction by the firm.

The man must now pay legal costs.

Several Facebook-related cases have hit headlines in recent months.

On Wednesday sixteen prison guards were suspended after posting offensive messages on a Facebook page about a Romanian inmate at a Milan prison who committed suicide.

And in November last year Nestlé Italy said that a disabled staff member, who was initially sacked for publicly criticizing company managers over Facebook, would no longer lose her job.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

BOLOGNA

Italy’s president calls for ‘full truth’ on anniversary of Bologna bombing

President Sergio Mattarella said on Tuesday it was the state's duty to shed more light on the 1980 bombing of Bologna's train station, on the 42nd anniversary of the attack that killed 85 people and injured 200.

Italy's president calls for 'full truth' on anniversary of Bologna bombing

On August 2nd 1980, a bomb exploded in the railway station’s waiting room, causing devastation on an unprecedented scale.

Five members of terrorist groups were later convicted in relation to the bombing, the worst episode in Italy’s ‘Years of Lead’ period of political violence in the 1970s and 80s.

Most recently, in 2020, a former member of the far-right Armed Revolutionary Nucleus (NAR) was sentenced to life imprisonment for providing logistical support to those who carried out the attack.

But suspicions remain of cover-ups and the involvement of “deviant elements” within the nation’s security services, reported Italian news agency Ansa.

READ ALSO: Bologna massacre: 40 years on, questions remain over Italy’s deadliest postwar terror attack

“The bomb that killed people who happened to be at the station on that morning 42 years ago still reverberates with violence in the depths of the country’s conscience,” Mattarella said in a speech marking the anniversary on Tuesday.

“It was the act of cowardly men of unequalled inhumanity, one of the most terrible of the history of the Italian Republic.

A train compartment at Bologna station pictured following the 1980 bombing attributed to the neo-fascist terrorist organization Nuclei Armati Rivoluzionari.

“It was a terrorist attack that sought to destabilise democratic institutions and sow fear, hitting ordinary citizens going about their everyday tasks.

“On the day of the anniversary our thoughts go, above all, to the relatives forced to suffer the greatest pain.

“The neo-fascist nature of the massacre has been established in court and further steps have been made to unveil the cover-ups and those who ordered the attack in order to comply with the Republic’s duty to seek the full truth”.

The bombing remains Western Europe’s fourth deadliest postwar terror attack, and one of the most devastating in Italy’s history.

SHOW COMMENTS