SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Man ‘hacks to death’ wife then kills daughter, 7

A man has been arrested in north-east Italy for allegedly hacking to death his wife before slitting his daughter's throat at their family home.

Man 'hacks to death' wife then kills daughter, 7
Police car photo: Shutterstock

The town of Pordenone, in the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region, is in shock after a father allegedly murdered his wife with a hatchet before killing his seven-year-old daughter as she slept.

According to a reconstruction of events by investigators and the coroner, 40-year-old Abdelhadi Lahmar pushed his wife onto their bed before striking her with the axe a dozen times at around 3am on Wednesday morning. Knife wounds were also found on her body.

Lahmar then went into his daughter Hiba’s bedroom while she was asleep and slit her throat, almost decapitating her, according to the Pordenone edition of Il Gazzettino. He then covered her face with a sheet “as a gesture of pity”.

Lahmar then alerted the police who came and arrested him.

Emergency services described the scene as a “massacre” and the mother and child were pronounced dead at the scene. 

Originally from Morocco, Lahmar had been living in Italy for some time with his family. He had worked irregularly in the past but is currently unemployed.

His wife, Touria Errebaibi, 30, had worked as a waitress at some restaurants in the town centre and also took care of the family.

Lahmar had recently travelled to Morocco, where he allegedly telephoned his wife and threatened to kill her.

According to a mother at the primary school attended by the daughter, Errebaibi feared that her husband would kill her.

“She was scared to death and told us that she was scared for her own life,” she told Il Gazzettino.

Another acquaintance of the woman told the paper: “In the past she had already been beaten. She never complained, despite suffering constant threats to her safety.”
 

ROME

‘Bank robber’ rescued in Rome after tunnel collapses

Four people were arrested in Rome after a suspected would-be bank robber was rescued from a tunnel under a road, police said on Friday.

'Bank robber' rescued in Rome after tunnel collapses

An Italian man had to be rescued after becoming trapped in a collapsed tunnel near the Vatican, suspected of being part of a gang burrowing its way to a nearby bank.

Firefighters spent eight hours digging him out from under a road in the west of Rome, before he was finally freed on Thursday evening and taken to hospital.

“Two people from Naples were arrested for resisting a public official and two, from Rome, for damage” to public property, a police spokesman told AFP.

The rescued man, one of the two Romans, remains in hospital, he said without giving an update on his condition.

“We are still investigating, we do not exclude that they are thieves, it is one of the theories,” he said.

For Italian newspapers, however, the motive was clear, with reports noting the tunnel was found near a bank ahead of the August 15th long weekend, when residents traditionally head out of town and much of Rome is left empty.

“The hole gang,” headlined newspapers Repubblica and Corriere della Sera, while La Stampa said: “They dig a tunnel to rob a bank, and one of them is buried underground.”

Other reports referred to the suspected burglar as l’uomo-talpa, or ‘mole man’.

An AFP reporter at the scene on Thursday saw the man brought out alive on a stretcher, after a day-long operation involving dozens of emergency service workers using mechanical diggers.

The tunnel began underneath an empty shop that had recently been rented.

“We all thought that the people there were renovating the place. So we had no suspicions and we did not hear noises either,” a resident, Michele, who lives in the same building told AFP.

SHOW COMMENTS