Two Italians dead in Nepal earthquake

Share this article

The latest death toll from the earthquake in Nepal stands at more than 3,200. Photo: AFP
09:16 CEST+02:00
UPDATED: Two Italians were killed on Saturday when a devastating earthquake hit Nepal, while five Italians are still missing, national media reported on Monday.

Renzo B and Marco P were killed in the Rolwaling Valley by a landslide which was prompted by a 7.8-magnitude earthquake, Corriere della Sera reported.

Five Italians remain missing, including 24-year-old climber Giovanni Cipolla. 

Four cavers from Italy’s Corpo Nazionale Soccorso Alpino Speleologico (National Body for Alpine and Speleological Aid) are also missing, the organization’s president, Paola Riccio, was quoted by La Repubblica as saying.

The four were named as Giuseppe Antonini , Gigliola Mancinelli and Oscar Piazza, from Trentino-Aldo Adige, and Giovanni Pizzorni, from Genoa.

Two Italian climbers, who were at the foot of Everest, are safe, the newspaper said, as are two brothers from Florence who had been doing voluntary work and travelling in the country for two weeks.

Story continues below…

Three hundred other Italians in Nepal have been traced and are unharmed, Italy’s foreign ministry said.

The latest death toll from the disaster stands at more than 3,500.

Share this article

From our sponsors

Last chance to vote absentee in the US elections

Election Day in the U.S. is less than a month away, and time is running out for Americans living overseas to vote absentee. Here's what to do before it’s too late.


Popular articles