SHARE
COPY LINK

FOOTBALL

Fiorentina sack Montella over lack of respect

Fiorentina have sacked Vincenzo Montella after claiming the coach, who steered La Viola to the semi-finals of the Europa League, lacked respect for the club that had "given him so much".

Fiorentina sack Montella over lack of respect
Ex - Fiorentina coach Vincenzo Montella Photo: Filippo Monteforte / AFP

Montella has been rumoured to be leaving Fiorentina for a fellow Serie A club in recent months, with speculation also suggesting he may even take a year off.

But the club have taken swift action for Montella's “ambiguous attitude” of late, issuing a statement on Monday saying they had been forced to “relieve”him of his duties.

“ACF Fiorentina views the recent actions undertaken by head coach Vincenzo Montella as a clear attempt to get out of a contract he signed less than two years ago because it includes a clause that he no longer holds to be in his interest, although he agreed to it at the time,” said a club statement.

“It is therefore with great regret that we must recognise that the trust required to continue our relationship together has been lost and, for the good of the club, we have little option other than to relieve Vincenzo Montella of his duties.

“This sudden situation naturally causes organisational problems which we must now resolve as a matter of urgency. “We would have expected to see the coach behave in a clearer, more respectful and less ambiguous manner towards the club and the fans that have given him so much.”

Club president Andrea Della Valle hit out last week at Montella, saying the club “is waiting to be informed of exactly where our head coach Vincenzo Montella stands”.

Montella led La Viola to the Europa League last four before their exit to eventual winners Sevilla, and steered Fiorentina into next year's competition  thanks to a fourth-place finish in Serie A.

A former forward for Roma, he has been linked with a move to AC Milan among other top Italian clubs.
He responded to Della Valle's comments last week by saying that “clarity is required, with or without me”.
He added: “That said, I am the coach of Fiorentina and I am prepared to go on being the coach with professionalism and enthusiasm.”

FOOTBALL

Euro 2020: Concern about virus spread after Italy players’ ‘unauthorised’ victory parade through Rome

Italy’s national football team reportedly insisted on taking an open-top bus tour through Rome to show off their European Championship trophy to crowds of fans - despite city authorities forbidding it amid concern about the spread of coronavirus.

Euro 2020: Concern about virus spread after Italy players' ‘unauthorised’ victory parade through Rome
Photo: Tiziana Fabi/AFP

The team’s bus parade through the city on Monday night following their Euro 2020 triumph “was not authorised”, according to Matteo Piantedosi the head of Rome’s prefettura (the public safety authority).

Thousands of fans packed the streets of central Rome to see the team celebrate their cup win after beating England on penalties in the final.

READ ALSO: ‘Football came home’: Italy celebrates Euro 2020 victory over England

Piantedosi told Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera on Wednesday: “We had denied permission to celebrate Italy’s victory in the European Championships on the open bus, but the pact was not respected.”

Piantedosi, who is Rome’s top public security official, said police had “no choice” but to let the parade go ahead after players Giorgio Chiellini and Leonardo Bonucci insisted on it.

Photo: Vincenzo Pinto/AFP

A meeting had been held on Friday with the Italian football federation (FIGC) to discuss plans for the celebrations if Italy won, said Piantedosi.

“I had agreed the line with Interior Minister Luciana Lamorgese and Chief of Police Lamberto Giannini,” he said.

“It was clearly explained that [the parade] was not possible. We said we could not authorize it.”

Piantedosi said the Italian football federation (FIGC) initially agreed to hold a “controlled” ceremony in Rome’s central Piazza del Popolo instead of the parade.

After players insisted on the bus tour on Monday however, Piantedosi said, authorities reluctantly let them go ahead due to fears of sparking public disorder.

“At that point we had no choice but to acknowledge the situation and handle it in the best way we could,” he said.

READ ALSO: Covid cases on the rise in Europe once again as WHO warns of Euro 2020 risk

Photo: Andreas Solaro/AFP

In a statement on Wednesday, the FIGC said it had acted responsibly but decided not to disappoint fans who had come to celebrate with the team.

Footage of large crowds thronging the bus carrying the ‘Azzurri’ and the European Championship trophy through the capital however fuelled concerns about new outbreaks of coronavirus, after Italy’s infection rate began to rise again last week.

The World Health Organization warned earlier this month that crowds and gatherings connected to football matches will fuel a new rise in cases across Europe this summer.

READ ALSO: Delta variant in Italy will be ‘prevalent within 10 days’: health official

Italy’s health minister Roberto Speranza also voiced concerns on Monday about the consequences of people gathering to watch sporting events.

He said the European football championship win was “a great joy after terrible months,” but “even in these moments of national pride we can’t forget that our ‘game’ to defeat Covid is not yet won.”

There are currently minimal health restrictions in place across Italy, however masks are supposed to be worn in crowded public places, including outdoors.

“Footage shows that police were virtually the only ones [in the crowd] wearing masks,” said Piantedosi.

SHOW COMMENTS