SHARE
COPY LINK

SWITZERLAND

Swiss hotel accuses Il Volo of trashing rooms

A five-star hotel in Switzerland has accused the squeaky-clean Italian operatic pop trio Il Volo of trashing its hotel rooms on Saturday night.

Swiss hotel accuses Il Volo of trashing rooms
A Swiss hotel has accused the Italian operatic pop trio Il Volo of trashing its hotel rooms. Photo: Dieter Nagal/AFP

The three young tenors stopped off at the Hotel di Garni du Lac in Locarno after recording a show for the German TV channel ZDF.

But according to an interview the hotel's management gave to La Regione Ticino, Il Volo's behaviour was more suited to rock stars than tenors.

“When the cleaning staff entered their rooms they found they had been turned upside down – it was total and utter chaos. Mattresses, bedding and rubbish were strewn everywhere.”

In a subsequent interview given to Ticino's LiberaTV, the management made even stronger claims that could damage the squeaky clean reputation of the trio.

“Not only that, cleaning staff discovered urine on the floor in the bathrooms and in one room faeces had been smeared on the walls,” the management said.

The claims were vehemently denied by the group, who said the rooms were in a terrible condition to begin with.

“We found ourselves in dirty hotel rooms full of dust. The conditions weren't ideal for anybody – let alone those with a dust allergy,” the group said in a statement.

“The next day we moved to another hotel. This probably upset our hosts and they have come up with these false and unjustifiable claims.”

One of the singers, Gianluca Ginoble, tweeted that the group would be pursuing legal action against the hotel – saying that the claims were “absurd” and that the group's lawyers had already been informed.

The three tenors have found success on both sides of the Atlantic since 2010 when they started singing together as Il Volo. In 2015 they represented Italy at the Eurovision Song Contest and finished third place in the final standings.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

ITALY

Italy’s Renzi wants ex-ECB boss Draghi to become prime minister: report

Ex-PM Matteo Renzi would like to see former European Central Bank chief Mario Draghi become prime minister of Italy, a party source told Reuters on Sunday.

Italy's Renzi wants ex-ECB boss Draghi to become prime minister: report
Matteo Renzi. Image: Andreas Solaro/ POOL / AFP

“I would say that is one of our proposals,” confirmed the source, who declined to be named.

The Italian government collapsed last week when PM Giuseppe Conte resigned. The former coalition allies are currently trying to come to an agreement and sort out their differences.

The centre-left government had been in turmoil ever since former premier Matteo Renzi withdrew his Italia Viva party earlier this month, a move that forced Conte to step down this week.

During the past year, Renzi frequently criticised Conte’s management of the pandemic and economic crisis.

Italy’s La Stampa newspaper also reported on Sunday that President Sergio Mattarella was considering Draghi for the prime ministerial role. However, Mattarella’s office promptly denied this, saying there had been no contact between them.

So far, there has been no comment from Draghi, who hasn't been seen much in the public eye since 2019.


Italy's president, Sergio Mattarella, gave ruling parties more time on Friday to form a new government, after the resignation of Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte. 

Coalition parties Italia Viva, the centre-left Democratic Party (PD) and anti-establishment 5-Star Movement must come to an agreement to allow the government to heal. 

Renzi, a former prime minister himself, has pubilcly stated that he does not want to talk about who should lead the next government at this stage, reasoning that the parties need to agree on a way forward first.

“Any effort today to fuel a discussion about Draghi is offensive to Draghi and above all to the president of the republic,” Renzi said in an interview published on Sunday with Corriere della Sera.

A senior Italia Viva lawmaker also told Reuters that “If the president gives a mandate to Draghi, we would certainly support this”. 

Renzi, whose party is not even registering three percent support in opinion polls, quit the coalition over Conte’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic and his plans for spending more than 200 billion euros from a European Union fund to help Italy’s damaged economy.

READ ALSO: Why do Italy's governments collapse so often?

SHOW COMMENTS