SHARE
COPY LINK

COURT

‘Pay back jilted bride’: top court tells groom

Italy's Court of Cassation has ruled that a man who backed out of his wedding at the last-minute must cover the wedding costs incurred by his jilted ex.

'Pay back jilted bride': top court tells groom
Italy's Court of Cassation found that a secret lover was not a good enough reason to break off a wedding at the last minute. Photo: Cary Bass-Deschness/Flic

The man has been told to pay the woman back €16,500, finally bringing an end to a 16-year legal wrangle.

The scorned bride was unceremoniously jilted a week before the pair – who had been together for 11 years – was due to marry in 1999 after her fiancé revealed he had begun a relationship with another woman, La Repubbilca reported.

The bride then decided to take legal action against her ex, citing the expenses she had incurred leading up to the wedding.

Initially, her claims were rejected by a court in Prato, Tuscany, but a court of appeal in Florence decided she deserved to be reimbursed for some of her wedding expenses.

However, the cheating groom decided to appeal the decision.

But Italy's top court ruled that the man's failure to provide a valid reason for calling off the marriage so late in the day, and after the event had been so widely publicized, meant that he was liable for some of  the costs the now 46-year-old ex-fiancée had incurred.

In its statement the court said it had “examined completely the testimonies and did not find a valid reason for the husband not fulfilling his promise of marriage.”

The court ordered the man to reimburse his ex for “money spent on her wedding dress, as well as the restoration of what was supposed to be their connubial home.”

The man was also ordered to pay €5,200 in legal fees.  

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

ITALY

Italy’s Renzi wants ex-ECB boss Draghi to become prime minister: report

Ex-PM Matteo Renzi would like to see former European Central Bank chief Mario Draghi become prime minister of Italy, a party source told Reuters on Sunday.

Italy's Renzi wants ex-ECB boss Draghi to become prime minister: report
Matteo Renzi. Image: Andreas Solaro/ POOL / AFP

“I would say that is one of our proposals,” confirmed the source, who declined to be named.

The Italian government collapsed last week when PM Giuseppe Conte resigned. The former coalition allies are currently trying to come to an agreement and sort out their differences.

The centre-left government had been in turmoil ever since former premier Matteo Renzi withdrew his Italia Viva party earlier this month, a move that forced Conte to step down this week.

During the past year, Renzi frequently criticised Conte’s management of the pandemic and economic crisis.

Italy’s La Stampa newspaper also reported on Sunday that President Sergio Mattarella was considering Draghi for the prime ministerial role. However, Mattarella’s office promptly denied this, saying there had been no contact between them.

So far, there has been no comment from Draghi, who hasn't been seen much in the public eye since 2019.


Italy's president, Sergio Mattarella, gave ruling parties more time on Friday to form a new government, after the resignation of Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte. 

Coalition parties Italia Viva, the centre-left Democratic Party (PD) and anti-establishment 5-Star Movement must come to an agreement to allow the government to heal. 

Renzi, a former prime minister himself, has pubilcly stated that he does not want to talk about who should lead the next government at this stage, reasoning that the parties need to agree on a way forward first.

“Any effort today to fuel a discussion about Draghi is offensive to Draghi and above all to the president of the republic,” Renzi said in an interview published on Sunday with Corriere della Sera.

A senior Italia Viva lawmaker also told Reuters that “If the president gives a mandate to Draghi, we would certainly support this”. 

Renzi, whose party is not even registering three percent support in opinion polls, quit the coalition over Conte’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic and his plans for spending more than 200 billion euros from a European Union fund to help Italy’s damaged economy.

READ ALSO: Why do Italy's governments collapse so often?

SHOW COMMENTS