“No country is safe,” Interior Minister Angelino Alfano said following a committee on order and public security that met on Saturday morning.
“We are at the level below maximum – a level which allows the intervention of special forces.”
Alfano announced the decision had been made to send an extra 700 soldiers to the city of Rome for the 2016 Jubilee of Mercy, due to get underway on December 8th.
Terminato Comitato nazionale Ordine e Sicurezza pubblica. pic.twitter.com/coiteBDewZ
— Angelino Alfano (@angealfa) November 14, 2015
The committee also decided to raise security levels inside Italy's prisons so as to prevent the spread of extremist views.
“We have decided to increase controls and surveillance in prisons to avoid the risk of proselytism,” the minister said.
It was also announced that movements at the Italian-France border were being closely monitored following Friday night's attacks in Paris, which left 128 people dead and at least 200 injured.
There have been longstanding fears about the risk of a terrorist attack during the Rome Jubilee.
Italy has been on heightened alert since an Isis video earlier this year warned that Libya could be used as a springboard for attacks in the country.
Speaking to TG1 on Saturday morning Italian Minister for Foreign Affairs, Paolo Gentiloni, also highlighted Rome as a potential target.
“In Isis propaganda the city of Rome has a symbolic value,” the minister said.
“So far our intelligence and security forces have worked very well but we cannot underestimate the threat.”