Italian police bungle sparks false terror scare

Share this article

The car supposedly entered Italy at Ventimiglia, on the border with France. Photo: Valery Hache/AFP
15:05 CET+01:00
Confusion was sparked in Italy on Monday after police put out an urgent appeal for a car connected with the Paris terror attacks.

However, it later transpired that the car in question had already been found in Paris on Sunday, Italy's Interior Ministry said.

Information that highway police in the Turin area had been told to look out for a black Seat Ibiza, with an alleged suspect inside, was widely reported in the Italian media on Monday.

The information also included the registration details of the car and that it had probably crossed into Italy at Ventimiglia. But the vehicle was found in the eastern Paris suburb of Montreuil on Sunday. It is believed the circular was issued to Italy's highway police on Saturday, the day after the Paris attacks, and not on Monday.

Meanwhile, an international manhunt was also launched on Sunday for 26-year-old Salah Abdelslam, one of three brothers thought to be involved in the attacks that claimed at least 129 lives.

Story continues below…

Abdelslam went on the run following the attacks on Friday. It was initially thought that he could have headed to Belgium, but border countries Italy, Spain and Germany have been warned that he could seek refuge in either three, Rai news reported.

Share this article

From our sponsors

Last chance to vote absentee in the US elections

Election Day in the U.S. is less than a month away, and time is running out for Americans living overseas to vote absentee. Here's what to do before it’s too late.


Popular articles