SHARE
COPY LINK

ITALY

What did Italians google the most in 2015?

Google has revealed what Italians searched for the most during 2015, with everything from ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ to Milan’s Expo making it into the top-10.

What did Italians google the most in 2015?
Photo: Giuseppe Cacace/AFP

Italians were interested in major world news events, with November’s Paris attacks and the attacks at the office of the French satirical magazine, Charlie Hebdo, in January, both making it to number four and 9, respectively.

But the story that struck the hardest, at least according to Google statistics on the top searches to come out of Italy over the past 12 months, was the loss of the beloved singer, Pino Daniele, who died on January 4th.

And the popularity of reality TV programmes showed no sign of waning in 2015, with the Italian version of Big Brother and Isola dei Famosi, or Celebrity Island, being the second and third most-searched.

Away from the reality scene, the San Remo Music Festival is still going strong after more than 60 years, making it to number five on the Google search list.

Whether they admitted to reading the book or not, Italians were certainly intrigued about the film version of ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’, which was released earlier in the year and came in at number six, with Miss Italia 2015 and Expo following in seventh and eighth place. Valentino Rossi, the professional motorcycle racer and multiple MotoGP world champion, came 10th.

Pino Daniele, who was born in Naples, was also the most searched Italian person, followed by Valentino Rossi and Sergio Mattarella, the Sicilian judge who became president in February.

Actress Laura Antonelli, who died in June, and TV personality Maria Grazia Capulli, who died in October, also made the top ten.

As did the porn star Rocco Siffredi, who made headlines in October after announcing the launch of a ‘University of Porn’ for aspiring stars.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

ITALY

Italy’s Renzi wants ex-ECB boss Draghi to become prime minister: report

Ex-PM Matteo Renzi would like to see former European Central Bank chief Mario Draghi become prime minister of Italy, a party source told Reuters on Sunday.

Italy's Renzi wants ex-ECB boss Draghi to become prime minister: report
Matteo Renzi. Image: Andreas Solaro/ POOL / AFP

“I would say that is one of our proposals,” confirmed the source, who declined to be named.

The Italian government collapsed last week when PM Giuseppe Conte resigned. The former coalition allies are currently trying to come to an agreement and sort out their differences.

The centre-left government had been in turmoil ever since former premier Matteo Renzi withdrew his Italia Viva party earlier this month, a move that forced Conte to step down this week.

During the past year, Renzi frequently criticised Conte’s management of the pandemic and economic crisis.

Italy’s La Stampa newspaper also reported on Sunday that President Sergio Mattarella was considering Draghi for the prime ministerial role. However, Mattarella’s office promptly denied this, saying there had been no contact between them.

So far, there has been no comment from Draghi, who hasn't been seen much in the public eye since 2019.


Italy's president, Sergio Mattarella, gave ruling parties more time on Friday to form a new government, after the resignation of Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte. 

Coalition parties Italia Viva, the centre-left Democratic Party (PD) and anti-establishment 5-Star Movement must come to an agreement to allow the government to heal. 

Renzi, a former prime minister himself, has pubilcly stated that he does not want to talk about who should lead the next government at this stage, reasoning that the parties need to agree on a way forward first.

“Any effort today to fuel a discussion about Draghi is offensive to Draghi and above all to the president of the republic,” Renzi said in an interview published on Sunday with Corriere della Sera.

A senior Italia Viva lawmaker also told Reuters that “If the president gives a mandate to Draghi, we would certainly support this”. 

Renzi, whose party is not even registering three percent support in opinion polls, quit the coalition over Conte’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic and his plans for spending more than 200 billion euros from a European Union fund to help Italy’s damaged economy.

READ ALSO: Why do Italy's governments collapse so often?

SHOW COMMENTS