Danes cause Venice campsite fire due to burning candles

The Local Italy
The Local Italy - [email protected]
Danes cause Venice campsite fire due to burning candles
The flames ripped through a 55-hectare tourist resort near Venice. Photo: Vigli del fuoco

A Danish family's burning candles reportedly led to a fire that ruined the holidays of more than 2,000 campers at a resort near Venice.


Venezia Today reported that the fire was caused by a 55-year-old Danish man, who left one or more candles burning when he and his family went to bed on Sunday night. As of Tuesday morning, this had not been confirmed by the Italian authorities.

The Danish travel agency Dansk Bilferie told news agency Ritzau that around 30 of the 40 destroyed mobile homes belonged to Danish holidaymakers.

The Danish Foreign Ministry said it was aware of the incident and is in close contact with both Italian authorities and the affected Danes.

"Via the Danish Embassy in Rome, we are in close contact with the Danish citizens at the camping resort and we are ready to offer them consular support," spokesman Folmer Jensen told Ritzau.

Nobody was injured in the blaze at the 55-hectare Prà delle Torri resort in Caorle, near Venice.

Fanned by strong winds over the Italy's Adriatic coast, the flames tore through an area of the resort filled with bungalows - transforming many visitors' stay into a holiday from hell. 




Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also