Netflix to launch 'illuminating' Amanda Knox documentary

Share this article

Amanda Knox in court for her first appeal of her murder conviction. Photo: Tiziana Fabi/AFP pool/AFP
10:49 CEST+02:00
Streaming site Netflix is set to launch a new documentary on Amanda Knox, who was twice convicted and then acquitted of killing her roommate in Italy.

The streaming site describes the documentary, which will go live on Friday, September 30th, as "illuminating".

In the trailer for 'Amanda Knox', which can be viewed below, the 29-year-old describes her excitement ahead of her year studying in Perugia, central Italy, and is tearful as she says: "I was a kid."

However, she was soon caught up in a murder trial after her roommate, Brit Meredith Kercher, was found dead in their shared home in November 2007.

The documentary had its global premiere at Toronto Film Festival, but will be accessible for Netflix-users around the world - including Italy - from Friday.

Filmmakers Rod Blackhurst and Brian McGinn show the effect that the murder case, as well as the tabloid and press coverage, had on Knox and others involved in the case.

It features interviews with Knox, her ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito who was also convicted of Kercher's murder, and former Daily Mail reporter Nick Pisa, who published Knox's prison diaries, among others.

They began working on the film in 2011, when Knox and Sollecito first appealed their convictions for murder; they were successful in their appeal and were acquitted of the crime. The pair were convicted a second time in January 2014, but in March 2015 Italy's Supreme Court found them not guilty, bringing an end to the eight-year legal drama.

READ ALSO: 'Meredith Kercher must not be forgotten'

"We saw that the entire world was fascinated by what, at its core, is a tragedy. We wanted to understand how something could be consumed that way—and what would it be like for these people caught up in the story living inside of this?” Blackhurst told Newsweek on Monday.

Earlier this year, the European Court of Human Rights accepted a case submitted by Knox's lawyers over mistreatment she allegedly suffered at the hands of Italian authorities during the investigation.

Story continues below…

The 29-year-old claims she was subjected to an unfair trial and mistreatment during questioning - allegations which have never been investigated by the Italian authorities.

In January, the American was cleared of slandering police officers and a prosecutor involved in the investigation.

READ MORE: Italy clears Knox and Sollecito of murder

Photo: AFP

Share this article

From our sponsors

Last chance to vote absentee in the US elections

Election Day in the U.S. is less than a month away, and time is running out for Americans living overseas to vote absentee. Here's what to do before it’s too late.


Popular articles