SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Looters steal computers from quake town’s new school

Heartless thieves stole a new set of computers from a school which had only been opened two weeks ago, as part of the effort to recover from the earthquake in central Italy.

Looters steal computers from quake town's new school
Almost a third of the schools in the area are now unusable. The above photo is of a school in Amatrice: AFP

The looters broke into the new 'Nicola Amici' high school in Acquasanta Terme, one of the towns in the Marche region which was badly damaged in the earthquake of August 24th. The robbery took place on Tuesday night.

Six of the computers had been provided by the Italian Ministry for Education, while the remaining four were donations which had only arrived the previous day.

“I am outraged by this act of horrendous looting,” said mayor Sante Stangoni, according to La Repubblica.

“We are working hard to keep the town alive, we are putting in maximum effort every day. There are some people who don't respect anything, not even the pain and tragedy we are going through.”

The school was set up at the start of the new term because the two existing schools in the town were no longer usable due to quake damage.

Overall, almost a third of the schools in the affected area (28 percent) are unfit for use following the disaster.

Education Minister Stefania Giannini said the ministry would ensure the schoolchildren had new computers to work on as soon as possible, while tax collection agency Equitalia also said on Twitter that it would help provide the school with computers.

The Italian Chamber of Deputies has pledged to use the money saved from its budget this year (€47 million) to help with the recovery of the damaged towns.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

 Italian police arrest mafia member after three women killed in Rome

Italian police on Saturday arrested a mafia member suspected of killing two alleged Chinese prostitutes and a Colombian sex worker in Rome, local media reported.

 Italian police arrest mafia member after three women killed in Rome

The bodies of the two Chinese women were discovered in a residential building in the upmarket Prati district on Thursday morning, while the body of the South American was found in an apartment in the same neighbourhood an hour later.

All three victims were stabbed, according to Italian media reports.

According to the Corriere della Sera newspaper, footage from surveillance cameras allowed police to identify 51-year-old Giandavide De Pau, who had been prosecuted in the past for drug trafficking and sexual assault.

The suspect is reportedly a member of a mafia clan headed by Michele Senese, who is currently serving a life sentence. De Pau is believed to have been one of Senese’s closest collaborators, acting as his personal driver and handyman.

In 2008 and 2011, the suspect had also spent time in a psychiatric hospital.

It is unknown whether the suspected killer was carrying out a mafia hit or acting alone, possibly under the influence of drugs, which were found at the home of some family members where he is believed to have sought refuge after the police manhunt got underway, Corriere della Sera reported.

Several newspapers had warned of a possible “serial killer” in the Italian capital.

The body of one of the Chinese victims was spotted by a neighbour where it lay, naked on a landing. The woman, believed to be in her 40s, had suffered head and stomach injuries, the newspaper said.

When police entered her apartment, they found the body of the second Chinese woman.

Nobody in the building appeared to have heard the murders take place, according to residents.

“Everybody knew there was a house of ill repute here, I’d see people arriving at 2:00 am, 3:00 am,” a woman who lived in the building told reporters.

The body of the Colombian, who was 65, was found by a friend, Corriere della Sera said.

SHOW COMMENTS