Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland
Advertisement

Five dead as Med migrant death toll continues to rise

Share this article

Five dead as Med migrant death toll continues to rise
An abandoned wooden boat, used by migrants to make the crossing. Photo: Andreas Solaro/AFP
09:46 CET+01:00
Another five people have been added to the tally of more than 4,200 migrants who have died trying to cross the Mediterranean this year, Italy's coastguard said on Tuesday.

The coastguard, which coordinates search and rescue operations in the waters between Libya and Italy's southern coast, said a total of 550 people had been saved during five separate operations on Monday.

The rescues all involved efforts to get people off overcrowded rubber dinghies in waters off Libya. Five corpses were recovered, the coastguard said.

This year is already the deadliest on record for migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean with uncertainty about the situation in Libya fuelling a higher volume of departures in difficult weather conditions.

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

Advertisement

From our sponsors

Make a difference volunteering overseas in 2018

There's no better time than the start of a new year to help bring about positive change in the world. Find out why scores of young idealists are signing up to change people's lives for the better by volunteering abroad.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Jobs
Click here to start your job search
Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular articles

Advertisement
Advertisement