For a quick dish full of classic Italian flavour, this week's video recipe from Al.ta Cucina takes its inspiration from the famous Gnocchi alla Sorrentina. With potatoes, tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella as its principal ingredients, bottoni di patate alla pizzaiola cuts down on prep time by using fluffy potato “buttons” instead of gnocchi.
– 700g potatoes
– Two eggs
– 220g flour
– 75g parmigiano cheese
– 300g of tomato sauce (sugo)
– 300g mozzarella cheese
– Three basil leaves
– Extra virgin olive oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Boil, peel, and mash the potatoes. Add in the egg, flour, parmigiano cheese, and salt and pepper.
– Mix the ingredients with a spatula, then knead by hand.
– Take a spoonful of the potato mixture and roll to form into a small meatball or dumpling shape. Repeat until all of the mixture has been used.
– In a pan, with a splash of olive oil, brown the potato balls for five minutes on each side.
– Add in the tomato sauce, basil leaves, a pinch of salt, cover, and let it simmer over a low heat for about ten minutes.
– Transfer everything to a lightly greased baking dish.
– Place the sliced mozzarella on top, cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes at 220˚C/430˚F.
Buon appetito! See more Italian video recipes in English by Al.ta Cucina on Facebook.