SHARE
COPY LINK

HEALTH

Where in Italy are the new clusters of coronavirus cases?

The Italian army was sent in to secure a virus "red zone" north of Naples, authorities said on Thursday, while further outbreaks were reported including one in Bologna.

Where in Italy are the new clusters of coronavirus cases?
Inside the Covid-19 unit of the Policlinico Sant'Orsola-Malpighi hospital in Bologna. Photo: AFP
There were protests and unrest on Thursday after authorities locked down a residential area in Campania were around 50 cases of coronavirus were reported.
 
Some 700 people have been ordered to remain indoors in four council housing blocks in Mondragone – 60 kilometres north of Naples on the coast in the Campania region – since Monday, while local health authorities test them for the virus, Rai news reported.
 
Regional governor Vincenzo De Luca called for backup from the army, which he said was on its way.
 
New cases, including those who are asymptomatic, are being transferred to a local hospital.
 
But several of the 49 people who have tested positive so far have since gone missing.
 
Some were undocumented Bulgarian workers who feared losing their jobs, said Rai.
 
Tensions erupted as the quarantined foreign residents staged a protest, and Italians living nearby  arrived to throw stones and smash up cars on the estate.
 
Residents of the 'red zone' estate in Mondragone, Calabria protested the lockdown on Thursday. Photo: Ansa/AFP
 
It was not the only cluster of new cases in Italy, which lifted its lockdown at the start of June after three months of a pandemic which has officially killed over 34,600 people.
 
Another set has emerged at a warehouse in Bologna used by express courier Bartolini (BRT). a local newspaper said on Thursday.
 
 
 
The company has so far uncovered 61 asymptomatic cases – including two drivers, and friends and relatives of employees – after testing workers at the warehouse in central-northern Italy following the discovery of two members of staff with the virus, the Resto del Carlino daily newspaper reported on Thursday.
 
Bartolini (BRT) has closed the warehouse, although deliveries continue.
 
It was expected to test all staff who have come into contact with those with the virus, the report said.
 
The fresh outbreaks of Covid-19 come as Italy is re-emerging from lockdown in a phased process that began in early May.
 
Italian media has identified 10 cases of new clusters across the country this week in the following areas:

Mondragone, Caserta

 
Palmi, Reggio Calabria
 
Bologna (at a BRT warehouse)
 
Rome (inside a convent)
 
Montecchio, Reggio Emilia
 
Bolzano
 
Como
 
Prato, Tuscany
 
Alessandria, Piedmont
 
Porto Empedocle, Sicily (on board a migrant rescue ship)

 
 

Member comments

  1. The cluster referred to as being in Bolzano was not in the provincial capita itself but in two other towns, Fortezza/Franzenfeste and Rio di Pusteria/Mülbach.

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

BOLOGNA

Italy’s president calls for ‘full truth’ on anniversary of Bologna bombing

President Sergio Mattarella said on Tuesday it was the state's duty to shed more light on the 1980 bombing of Bologna's train station, on the 42nd anniversary of the attack that killed 85 people and injured 200.

Italy's president calls for 'full truth' on anniversary of Bologna bombing

On August 2nd 1980, a bomb exploded in the railway station’s waiting room, causing devastation on an unprecedented scale.

Five members of terrorist groups were later convicted in relation to the bombing, the worst episode in Italy’s ‘Years of Lead’ period of political violence in the 1970s and 80s.

Most recently, in 2020, a former member of the far-right Armed Revolutionary Nucleus (NAR) was sentenced to life imprisonment for providing logistical support to those who carried out the attack.

But suspicions remain of cover-ups and the involvement of “deviant elements” within the nation’s security services, reported Italian news agency Ansa.

READ ALSO: Bologna massacre: 40 years on, questions remain over Italy’s deadliest postwar terror attack

“The bomb that killed people who happened to be at the station on that morning 42 years ago still reverberates with violence in the depths of the country’s conscience,” Mattarella said in a speech marking the anniversary on Tuesday.

“It was the act of cowardly men of unequalled inhumanity, one of the most terrible of the history of the Italian Republic.

A train compartment at Bologna station pictured following the 1980 bombing attributed to the neo-fascist terrorist organization Nuclei Armati Rivoluzionari.

“It was a terrorist attack that sought to destabilise democratic institutions and sow fear, hitting ordinary citizens going about their everyday tasks.

“On the day of the anniversary our thoughts go, above all, to the relatives forced to suffer the greatest pain.

“The neo-fascist nature of the massacre has been established in court and further steps have been made to unveil the cover-ups and those who ordered the attack in order to comply with the Republic’s duty to seek the full truth”.

The bombing remains Western Europe’s fourth deadliest postwar terror attack, and one of the most devastating in Italy’s history.

SHOW COMMENTS