For members


The five most essential pieces of paperwork you’ll need when moving to Italy

Sunshine, good food, and breathtakingly beautiful sights are all guaranteed when you move to Italy. Unfortunately, so is a big pile of paperwork. Here's where to start.

The bureaucracy you'll need to get through to move to Italy.
Here's an overview of the bureaucracy you'll need to get through to move to Italy. Photo by Tetiana SHYSHKINA on Unsplash

Italy is famously entangled in red tape, and there’s even more of it for foreign residents. While some processes are gradually being simplified and even moved online, we can’t deny that Italian bureaucracy would test the patience of any of the country’s many saints.

Still, as Italy’s foreign residents tell us again and again, it’s all worth it to be able to live and work in one of the most fabulous countries in the world.

There are just a few key documents that you’ll really need when you first arrive. To help you get started, here’s a look at the very first things that should be on your to-do list as you plan your move.


Getting into the country at all is a good place to start.

If you come from a country outside the European Union (which now includes the UK) you will need to apply for a visa if you’re planning to stay in Italy for more than three months.

There are different types of visa according to the reason for your visit. Bear in mind you’ll need to do this while still in your home country, and make sure you apply in good time. The Italian embassy in your country should be able to give you the details of the application process and requirements for the type of visa you need.

EXPLAINED: What type of visa will you need to move to Italy?

And not forgetting that the most important document you need for this is, of course, your passport. It sounds obvious, but make sure it is up to date and also that it’s valid for the duration of your stay in Italy, whether you’re staying six days or six months.

It’s also never a bad idea to make and keep printed and digital copies of your passport and visa in case they get lost or stolen. Getting these replaced in Italy would add significantly to your paperwork pile – not to mention costs.

Permesso di soggiorno

If you’re planning to stay for more than three months and you’ve been granted a visa, once you get to Italy you’ll need to register with the Questura (police headquarters) and apply for your permesso di soggiorno (residence permit).

The process varies by province, but it involves paying €100-200 in fees and processing charges, giving your fingerprints and submitting numerous documents – and it usually takes around three to six months to process.

(While you’re waiting for it to arrive, be sure to carry your assicurata, or receipt of application, with you since it’s your proof that you’re in Italy legally.)

Once you have your permesso, it will give you full access to public healthcare, social assistance and education. So make sure you have a valid one: if it’s due to expire, prepare to renew it in advance. 

READ ALSO: Italian residency: Who needs it and how do you get it?

After five years living legally in Italy you can apply for a permesso di soggiorno per soggiornanti di lungo periodo (permit to stay for a long period), which can be renewed less frequently.

Although EU citizens can travel freely around European member states, anyone staying longer than three months in Italy is required to apply for a certificato di residenza (residence certificate) at their local Anagrafe (registry office). This serves as proof of residence and will help you access public healthcare and other services.

Visitors do not need a visa to stay in Italy for up to three months as a tourist. But technically they should also apply for a temporary permesso di soggiorno (residence permit). 

Even short-term visitors are supposed to register with the local Questura and apply for a permesso di soggiorno per turismo (permit to stay for the purposes of tourism) within eight days of arrival – though in practice, few tourists actually do so.


Carta d’identità

After successfully applying for residency, you’re expected by the authorities to get an Italian ID card from your local Anagrafe (the same office where you got your residency permit – but don’t expect to be able to get these on the same day).

You may have seen Italians showing old-school paper booklets – a surprisingly flimsy record of your name, date and place of birth, nationality and address, as well as personal details such as eye colour and marital status.

You’re very unlikely to get one of these – they are being replaced by a plastic version with a chip that stores the information electronically. 

You’re supposed to carry your ID card with you at all times in Italy, and to show it to authorities if asked.

You can also use it to access certain government services online.

While Italian citizens can use their ID cards for travel within the Schengen Zone and to certain other countries, those issued to foreign nationals are usually not valid for travel.

Manual widget for ML (class=”ml-manual-widget-container”)

Codice fiscale

A codice fiscale (fiscal code or tax code) is a personal identification number similar to a Social Security number in the US or National Insurance number in the UK.

The bad news is that you need it to do practically anything in Italy, from making purchases online to getting a job to signing a lease on a property.

The good news is that it’s relatively easy to get hold of. This will probably be the most straightforward item to check off your list.

Go to your local Agenzia delle Entrate (tax office) armed with a photocopy of your ID and fill out an application form (some offices even have them available in English). 

You should be assigned your code on the same day, while a plastic card carrying the information will be posted out to you a few weeks later.

READ ALSO: Codice fiscale: How to get your Italian tax code

Tessera sanitaria

Italy has a comprehensive state healthcare system which many, but not all, foreign residents will be able to access.

Residents of EU countries who are visiting Italy can access this subsidized medical treatment with the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), available via the healthcare system in your home country.

But wherever you’re from, if you are in Italy for more than three months you should look at registering with the Italian National Health Service (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale, or SSN).

Once signed up, you’ll be issued a tessera sanitaria, or health insurance card. 

READ ALSO: Who can register for national healthcare in Italy?

Depending on your personal circumstances however this is not always free. Some people find they have to pay quite large contributions, or may in fact not be eligible to sign up. For these reasons, many non-Italian residents take out private health insurance instead.

And many people take out private coverage for their first year in Italy anyway. That’s because, to apply for the health card, you will need to already be a resident in Italy with the permesso di soggiorno to prove it (see above).

Until you have at least applied for this, your registration can’t go ahead.

Keep in mind that the tessera sanitaria can’t be applied for online. You need to go in person to the ASL, or Agenzia Sanitaria Locale (local health authority) office (find your closest ASL here).

For many foreigners in fact the process takes not just one but two trips to the ASL, as well as a stop at the post office. Find all the details of the sign-up and renewal process here.

Once registered with the SSN you’ll also be allowed to register with a local GP or family doctor. In fact, some ASL offices will “choose” a doctor for you.

You’ll need to show the card when seeking medical treatment or buying prescription medicine to benefit from subsidies – and it also serves as an EHIC, entitling the bearer to urgent care in any EU country.

Newer versions of the card also feature a chip and PIN that allow you to access certain public services online.

What next?

Once you’ve got these pieces of paperwork under your belt, there will be plenty more to come. 

See The Local’s Italian bureaucracy section for guides to some of the next things you may need to check off your list, from the paperwork involved in working as a freelancer to registering a foreign car in Italy.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.
For members


What are the best Rome neighbourhoods for international residents?

Whether you're moving to Rome for the first time or are looking for a new neighbourhood to live in, here are five of the best 'quartieri' for foreign nationals.

What are the best Rome neighbourhoods for international residents?


Testaccio is a historic working-class Roman neighbourhood that’s become increasingly popular among international residents in recent years.

It’s surrounded on two sides by the Tiber, meaning you can walk along the river into the centre of town; and has good transport links, as it’s right next to both Piramide metro and Ostiense train station.


With its bustling food market and old-school Roman restaurants, Testaccio is a foodie haven, and you’ll often see food tours huddled around the market stalls nibbling on supplì and pecorino (though it’s mercifully otherwise relatively free of tour groups).

Testaccio's historic food market is a major draw.

Testaccio’s historic food market is a major draw. Photo by Vincenzo PINTO / AFP.

At one point it was ancient Rome’s river port and a commercial hub, so you’ll also see interesting Roman ruins like Monte Testaccio, a little hill formed entirely of broken clay pots (a 2000-year-old trash heap) or historic archways that made up part of the old quayside.


Located just across the river from the city centre, Trastevere is one of Rome’s most picturesque neighbourhoods, with the characteristic cobbled streets, terracotta-coloured dwellings and draping vines that many foreigners think of as quintessentially Italian.

READ ALSO: Six things foreigners should expect if they live in Rome

That also means it’s extremely popular with tourists and foreign students, who throng its piazzas and labyrinthine alleys year-round.

There’s no shortage of restaurants and bars in which to while away lazy afternoons and evenings; in fact there’s little else, and you’ll have to do a bit of digging to find ordinary shops and services.

Trastevere is popular with tourists and students.

Trastevere is popular with tourists and students. Photo by ANDREAS SOLARO / AFP.

Its central location means Trastevere has less of a neighbourhood feel than somewhere like Testaccio, but if you’re looking for a buzzing area that’s just a short stroll from some of Rome’s most famous monuments, it could be the place for you.


If you’re moving to Rome but wish you were in Berlin, you might want to venture east of the centre to Pigneto, where the cool kids go.

Its grey apartment blocks and grungy aesthetic might not make it much to look at, but its cheap(ish) rents and refreshingly un-stuffy vibe are attracting increasing numbers of young people.

Pigneto makes up for in coolness what it lacks in beauty.

Pigneto makes up for in coolness what it lacks in beauty. Photo by Tiziana FABI / AFP.

Pigneto’s main strip of bars and restaurants, relatively quiet during the day, comes to life in the evenings and especially on weekends, when it turns into a vibrant party hub.

As well as having a fairly youthful population, the area is more of a cultural melting pot than many other parts of the city – though for a truly international experience you’ll want to go even further east to Tor Pignettara, where you’ll find some of Rome’s best non-Italian food.

premium bootstrap themes


Just a few hundred feet from the Colosseum, Monti is practically in the city centre, though it’s still managed to retain its own distinctive personality.

It’s a trendy district where you’ll find a mix of stylish wine bars, chic restaurants, vintage clothing stores and high-end boutiques.

READ ALSO: ‘Why I used to hate living in Rome as a foreigner – and why I changed my mind’

Monti’s prime location means rents are high, and you’ll sometimes have to contend with crowds of tourists as you push your way to your front door.

But if you want to live in a fashionable and attractive neighbourhood that’s in Rome’s beating heart, you’d be hard pressed to find a better option.

Rome's trendy Monti district is a stone's throw from the Colosseum.

Rome’s trendy Monti district is a stone’s throw from the Colosseum. Photo by FILIPPO MONTEFORTE / AFP.


Heading to the northwest of the city centre, just east of Vatican City, sits the elegant residential and commercial district of Prati.

This neighbourhood’s broad avenues, attractive residences and upmarket shopping streets have historically made it preserve of upper-class Italians, many of whom work in surrounding offices or the several courthouses that fall within its boundaries.

Prati’s grid-like shape and heavily-trafficked roads mean it doesn’t have much of a neighbourhood feel, but it has plenty of sophisticated restaurants, cafes and bars.

It’s also just across the river from Villa Borghese, one of Rome’s largest and most attractive parks, with easy access to the world-class Galleria Borghese art gallery.

READ ALSO: Six essential apps that make life in Rome easier for foreign residents

Rome's Prati district is just across the river from leafy Villa Borghese.

Rome’s Prati district is just across the river from leafy Villa Borghese. Photo by Tiziana FABI / AFP.