• Italy's news in English
 
app_header_v3
Italy's 'orange battle' becomes computer game
Ivrea's battle of the oranges is now a computer game. Photo: C3Studio

Italy's 'orange battle' becomes computer game

Patrick Browne · 5 Jan 2016, 12:28

Published: 05 Jan 2016 12:28 GMT+01:00

The game has been produced by Ivrea-based company C3Studio, which hopes the release will lead to them getting more work designing games.

“We decided we wanted to do more game design and so it's kind of a first test and a way to show off our skills,” company owner, Marco Cocchi told The Local.

Obviously, hailing from Italy's alpine city of Ivrea, in Piedmont, the choice of subject matter for the game was straightforward: Italy's largest food fight.


An orange war is waged in Ivrea's central square. Photo: Olivier Morin/AFP

“Being from the city, we thought the orange battle would make a good game. We have had a lot of interest from people locally but we think it has all the characteristics to be an international hit too.”

'Orange Battle' is a game set in the squares of Ivrea, which allows players to test their orange- throwing skills, while waging war for one of the nine teams that compete in the orange battle each year (Picche, Morte, Tuchini, Scacchi, Arduini, Pantere, Diavoli, Mercenari and Credendari).

To complete the game users must complete all 52 levels – a number which reflects the number of carriages that roll through the cobbled streets and squares of Ivrea lobbing oranges each year during the battle – while avoiding picking up too many bruises and black eyes from the airborne fruit.

The challenge of the game closely matches the reality of the battle, in spite of its cartoon graphics.

“I'm 41 and have been taking part in the event for 27 years, always for my team, which is Picche," Cocchi explained. “Over the years I've had a few black eyes – but then again, who hasn't?”

The game, provisionally set for release on January 18th, will be available for download online and can be played on smartphones and tablets if downloaded from the iTunes store.

'Orange Battle' recreates the city's famous annual three-day orange war, said to commemorate the overthrow of an evil baron who suppressed the citizens of Ivrea in the 12th century.

Legend has it that the revolution was sparked when the baron tried to rape a miller's daughter on the night of her wedding to a townsman by exercising his sexual rights through a feudal law known as “jus primae noctis.”

Outraged by his demands, the young woman beheaded the baron and the townsfolk destroyed his castle, which was never rebuilt.

Story continues below…

Initially, the citizens of Ivrea – who are known as Eporediesi – commemorated the event by throwing beans and confetti. But in the 19th century, the commemorations descended into a full-on orange war when young women started throwing oranges at coaches from their balconies to try to attract the attention of the town's eligible men.

Today, the battle is an intense three-day event involving the nine teams hurling oranges at each other. Most participants fight on foot but some of them aim their citrus fruits from horse-drawn carts.

Oranges do not grow in the Alpine town, so for the event some 270,000 kilograms are ordered in from Sicily.

The three-day battle attracts thousands of spectators, who are advised to wear a red hat unless they want warring sides aiming oranges at them.

This year's battle will take place from February 7th to 9th. 

For more news from Italy, join us on Facebook and Twitter.

Patrick Browne (patrick.browne@thelocal.com)

Your comments about this article

Today's headlines
Forty children drown as shipwrecks claim up to 700
A migrant boat capsizing last week. Photo: Courtesy of Marina Militare

A week of shipwrecks and death in the Mediterranean culminated Sunday with harrowing testimony from migrant survivors who said another 500 people including 40 children had drowned, bringing the number of feared dead to 700.

Dozens missing in fresh migrant shipwreck: rescuers
Dozens more migrants are reported missing after a fishing boat sank on Friday. Photo: AFP

The Italian coastguard is searching for survivors after an overloaded fishing boat sank off the coast of Libya.

'Racist' Chinese ad causes outrage...but Italy did it first
Screengrab: Qiaobi/YouTube

A TV advert for a Chinese laundry detergent has been widely condemned, with commentators saying it’s the most racist ad to ever be screened. But hang on, a similar one was made in Italy...

Alicia Keys to sing live at Milan Champions League final
Alicia Keys will become the first person to sing live at a Champions League final. Photo: Stephen Brashear/Getty Images/AFP

The final will be held at Milan's San Siro stadium on Saturday.

Crew who sunk with WWII sub 'wanted to be found': relative
The wreck of the P311. Photo: Massimo Domenico Bondone

People were stunned by the discovery of a body-filled, Second World War-era submarine off the coast of Sardinia earlier this week, not least Paul Denison, who told The Local his great-uncle was among the 71 who perished on board.

Man can pay ex-wife's alimony with pizza, Italian court rules
A court in Padua has ruled in favour of a divorced father who pays alimony to his ex-wife in the form of pizza. Photo: Erich Ferdinand/Flickr

Every family's needs are different...

Iconic photos of Hiroshima horror go on show in Rome
Ken Domon at work. Photo: Wikimedia commons

It is the first time the works have gone on display outside Japan.

Why the average ancient Roman worker was dead by 30
The research paints a grim picture of the dangers faced by ancient Roman workers . Photo: Carla Caladarini

The average Roman worker suffered several broken bones, had arthritis at 20 and was dead by 30.

Video
Over 100 feared dead in new migrant boat tragedies in Med
An image taken of Wednesday's migrant shipwreck. Photo: Marina Miltare

Over 100 migrants were feared dead on Thursday after two crowded boats capsized off Libya in separate incidents, with one of the tragedies captured on video that shows dramatic rescues and desperate final moments.

Italian man lay dead in flat for 5 years before anyone noticed
The man's body was found at his home in Cagliari, Sardinia. Photo: Simon Frost

"Nobody questioned his disappearance, nobody went looking for him."

Did a Nazi official save Ponte Vecchio from destruction?
National
How the brutal murder of an anti-mafia hero altered Sicily
Travel
These are the best beaches within easy reach of Rome
National
Why Italians are falling out of love with the EU
Sponsored Article
Eat, learn, live: unforgettable holidays in France
Business & Money
Foreign, female and a self-made success in arduous Italy
National
How Italy's richest region is feeling the migrant strain
Culture
Rome mulls 'metro museum' after new line unearths ruin
National
Why Italy's facing a birth rate apocalypse
National
Why talk of barriers is opening up old wounds in South Tyrol
Culture
Huge Roman villa found under Amalfi church set to open
Travel
Two men kicked off plane in what captain calls 'racist act'
Meet the expats making a career out of Italian food
Society
'Staying single is why I'm the world's oldest person'
Travel
Where can you find the best beaches in Italy?
The ultimate guide to the insanity of driving in Italy
Travel
Eight of Rome's most tantalizing foreign food gems
Migrant arrivals in Italy top 30,000 for 2016: navy
Italy’s deadliest earthquakes over the last 100 years
Travel
US passports now need six months validity for Italy
Travel
Six incredible ways Italy profoundly changed my life
Society
Cheese, wine and family: the Italian way to live beyond 100
2,522
jobs available