Finance Minister Pier Carlo Padoan hailed the work of Italy's tax office after it gained €15 billion in unpaid taxes last year. Photo: Gabriel Bouys/AFP
Italy announces record haul from tax fraud crackdown
AFP · 1 Mar 2016, 18:00
Published: 01 Mar 2016 18:00 GMT+01:00
Italy recovered a record €14.9 billion in unpaid tax in 2015, helped by a new "no questions asked" appeal to suspected
dodgers to put their affairs in order.
The national tax agency said on Tuesday the total raised from anti-evasion activities was up from €14.2 billion in 2014.
The amounts raised remain tiny in comparison to Italy's huge losses to endemic tax avoidance, but do appear to reflect a more pro-active approach on the issue.
Italian Finance Minister Pier Carlo Padoan told Il Sole 24 ore that 2015 had been "a great success, thanks to the high quality work carried out by the tax office.”
“We can now say that nine years after the introduction of the new system the amount of money recovered has quadrupled,” the minister added.
A total of 315,000 residents were sent letters last year inviting them to quickly correct potential "errors or oversights" in their annual returns with an assurance they would only be liable for reduced penalties. Nearly half of them (156,000) took up the offer, bringing in €250 million.
Italy's government last year estimated the country's total losses to tax evasion at €90 billion a year.
The employers' organization Confindustria put the figure at €122 billion - the equivalent of 7.5 percent of GDP - in a report published in December.
Nearly half the total is accounted for by non-payment of VAT and a third relates to the avoidance of payroll taxes - both factors related to the size of Italy's black economy.
The size of the untaxed economy is one of the reasons why Italy's public finances are in such a perilous state.
Latest figures published on Tuesday showed the national debt at the end of last year had risen to 132.6% of annual output.
The government has pledged the debt will start falling this year but a slowing economy and a relaxation of fiscal policy have raised doubts over whether that will happen.
For more news from Italy, join us on
This Italian town is a 'must see' this year. Photo: Gatnau/Flickr
Harrods has been told it cannot open in Sardinia this year. Photo: Rick Payette/Tony Sheng/Hl_1001/Flickr
“Everybody, including Harrods, needs to obey the same rules."
Daniele De Santis has been found guilty of killing a Napoli fan ahead of the Italian Cup final in 2014. Photos: Rome police/AFP
Daniele De Santis, a Roma 'ultra' and right-wing militant, was on Tuesday found guilty of killing 31-year-old Ciro Esposito.
Photo: Jonathan Lin/Flickr
The classic board game is getting an Italian makeover - and you can have a say in how the finished board looks.
Rudy Guede has been granted 36 hours temporary release from prison. Photo: Tiziana Fabi/The Local
Rudy Guede, the man currently serving a 16-year jail sentence for the 2008 murder of 21 year old British exchange student Meredith Kercher, has been given 36 hours of temporary release from prison as a reward for good behaviour.
An exhibition featuring 120 works by Banksy has opened in Rome. Photo: Thomas Coex/AFP
But will the elusive artist put in an appearance?
More than 2,000 people have been rescued in the Mediterranean. Photo: Ricardo Garcia Vilanova/AFP
So far this year more than 34,000 people have been brought to the Italian coast after being rescued off Libya.
A senior Portuguese intelligence officer has been arrested in Rome along with a Russian. Photo: Raffaele Esposito
A source close to the case said the secrets allegedly passed on concerned the European Union and Nato, of which Portugal is a member.
Anti-mafia judge Giovanni Falcone was murdered in 1992. Photo: Gerard Fouet/AFP
Monday marked the 24th anniversary since the Sicilian judge and anti-mafia campaigner, Giovanni Falcone, was assassinated after a bomb was placed under his car on a highway near the town of Capaci.
Antonio Conte has cut cut several Euro 2016 hopefuls from a preliminary squad. Photo: Fredrik Varfjell/AFP
It now looks certain that neither Andrea Pirlo or Mario Balotelli will feature at Euro 2016.