Sollecito's dad criticizes prosecutor over retrial

Share this article

Raffaele Sollecito is due to be retried for the murder of Meredith Kercher. Photo: Tiziana Fabi/AFP
18:04 CEST+02:00
The father of Raffaele Sollecito, who along with Amanda Knox is facing a retrial for the murder of British student Meredith Kercher, has criticized the prosecutor general of Perugia for comments made about the case.

On Wednesday Prosecutor General Giovanni Galati, who successfully appealed the pair’s acquittal, said that Italy’s highest court had “substantially demolished the second-instance judgement” in its decision to release Sollecito and Knox, La Nazione Umbria reported. “A sentence that could not be undone was obviously flawed,” he added.

Francesco Sollecito, the father of the accused Italian, said the statements made by Galati were “unorthodox and improper”, the newspaper said.

“This is still an open process”, Sollecito said ahead of his son's retrial, which is expected to take place either later this year or early next year.

Italy’s supreme court released a 74-page document earlier this month detailing its reason to reverse the pair’s acquittal, citing "numerous examples of shortcomings, contradictions and incoherencies".

Knox and Sollecito were freed on appeal in 2011, four years after Kercher was murdered in Perugia, ending their 26- and 25-year prison sentences.

Story continues below…

A third person, Rudy Guede, remains in prison for the murder after his appeal was rejected.

Share this article

From our sponsors

Last chance to vote absentee in the US elections

Election Day in the U.S. is less than a month away, and time is running out for Americans living overseas to vote absentee. Here's what to do before it’s too late.


Popular articles