SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Construction worker’s body dumped by boss

A Romanian worker's body was dumped by his boss after he died on an Italian building site, police said Friday, underlining Italy's record as one of Europe's worst for workplace deaths.

Construction worker's body dumped by boss
Mihai Istoc died in a fall from scaffolding. Photo: Gary Knight/Flickr

Construction worker Mihai Istoc, who was hired illegally in the Asti area of northern Italy, died in a fall from scaffolding in 2009.

The owner of the building site and an accomplice allegedly got rid of the corpse by throwing it away in a tip so as not to be charged for illegal hiring.

"It is a fact of extreme gravity, where any sense of humanity was lost," Antonio Boccuzzi, a deputy from the centre-left Democratic Party, told AFP.

Boccuzzi is a former steel-worker who was the only survivor of a 2007 fire at the ThyssenKrupp factory in Turin in which seven fellow employees died.

"These criminals were trying to seize from the family of the victim a place and a tomb to cry on", he said of the Istoc case.

Wild boar hunters found the body but police were initially unable to identify the corpse.

The investigation into the death had been set to expire until an alert came out on Interpol a couple of months ago signalling Istoc's disappearance.

"Not only was Interpol's contribution crucial, but so was the wiretapping that followed," prosecutor Giorgio Vitari told AFP, referring to incriminating taped telephone conversations between the employer and his accomplice.

On Tuesday, DNA tests confirmed the dead body was Istoc and both men face trial for manslaughter and concealment of a dead body.

"Their attempt to get away with the crime made their situation a lot worse. If they had immediately told police what had happened, they would have faced a much shorter conviction than the one they may now face," Vitari said.

A report published by INAIL, the national insurance company for workplace accidents, on Wednesday showed that in 2012 there were 790 deaths on the workplace in Italy – more than two every day.

According to 2009 figures from the EU data agency Eurostat, Italy had an incidence of 1.73 fatal accidents at work per 100,000 workers – lower than Spain's 2.04 but higher than Britain with 0.59.

Campaigners say the figure could be even higher – more than 1,000 deaths a year – if workers hired illegally who are not reported are included.

Italy has a large underground economy – estimated at 26.2 percent of gross domestic product (GDP), second only to Greece in the EU. The manufacturing and building sectors are the most affected.

The number of workplace deaths has been going down every year since a law on workplace safety was passed in 2008 but it remains high compared to the rest of Europe.

"It is true that the number of deaths on the workplace is going down, but this is the result of the economic crisis and not of greater compliance by employers. The issue remains a cancer for Italy", Boccuzzi said.

Trials for workplace deaths often end up expiring under the statute of limitations or result in no compensation and no convictions.

Boccuzzi has asked for parliament to pass a law that would create an official remembrance day for workplace deaths.

"Otherwise one ends up talking about the issue only every now and then when tragedies happen, and proper efforts are not made" he said.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

MAFIA

Italian police seize €250 million and arrest 56 in latest mafia blitz

In its latest mafia sting, Italian police took down a large 'Ndrangheta ring in southern Calabria, placing 56 people under investigation including a regional councillor and a former head of the regional tourism board.

Italian police seize €250 million and arrest 56 in latest mafia blitz

The early-morning blitz by over 300 police focused on areas of Calabria – Italy’s poorest region – under the control of the Mancuso clan, a powerful branch of the infamous ‘Ndrangheta, many of whose top operatives are among hundreds of defendants in an ongoing ‘maxi-trial’.

Fifty-six people, many already in prison, were put under criminal investigation for a series of crimes including mafia-related conspiracy, extortion, kidnapping, bribery and possession of weapons, police and prosecutors said.

READ ALSO: ‘Ndrangheta: It’s time to bust some myths about the Calabrian mafia

Besides alleged mafia members, the operation also snared businessmen, a regional councillor released from prison days earlier, a former head of the regional tourism board and two civil servants, police said.

The incarcerated boss of the clan, Luigi Mancuso, also known as “The Supreme”, is the biggest mafioso in the massive mafia trial that started in January 2021.

Still, police said, his clan and affiliates, including the La Rosa and Accortini families, have continued to dominate illegal activities in the Vibo Valentia province, which is located right on the toe of Italy’s boot and is widely known as the ‘Coast of the Gods’ due to its stunning coastal views.

One mafia scheme involved the infiltration of a foreign tour operator in Pizzo Calabro, overlooking the Tyrrhenian Sea.

No one talks

In Calabria, the extent of the ‘Ndrangheta’s reach in the local economy has made it near impossible to eradicate it.

By controlling the bulk of cocaine flowing into Europe, the ‘Ndrangheta has surpassed Sicily’s Cosa Nostra in power and wealth. It has extended far beyond its rural roots and now operates internationally, with illegal gains reinvested in the legitimate economy.

In the area around Vibo Valentia, extortion of local businesses and the fixing of public tenders is also common.

The allegations against those arrested Thursday include the transport and sale of stolen farm machinery to Malta and Romania, police said.

The sting carried out on Thursday extended to other parts of Calabria, Palermo in Sicily and as far as Rome and Milan, police said.

READ ALSO: Meet Nicola Gratteri, the prosecutor leading Italy’s battle against the mafia

In a press conference, anti-mafia prosecutor Nicola Gratteri, whose efforts to defeat the ‘Ndrangheta have forced him to live under police escort for over 30 years, called the group a “fierce mafia syndicate” controlling areas around the tourist resort of Tropea.

Francesco Messina, who leads Italy’s organised crime investigative unit (DAC), cited the economic power of the clan, which relies locally on “substantial” extortion activity.

The “total absence” of complaints to authorities was striking, Messina said, underscoring the ‘Ndrangheta’s power to intimidate.

By Alexandria Sage

SHOW COMMENTS