SHARE
COPY LINK

CORRUPTION

Renzi moves to restore Expo after arrests

Prime Minister Matteo Renzi will visit the headquarters of Milan Expo 2015 on Tuesday, along with a top magistrate and senior ministers, days after a series of arrests over corruption allegations at the trade fair.

Renzi moves to restore Expo after arrests
The trade fair runs from May 1st to October 31st 2015. Giuseppe Cacace/AFP

The prime minister will be joined in Milan by Raffaele Cantone, magistrate and president of the government’s National Anti-Corruption Authority (Anac), Corriere della Sera reported on Monday.

Renzi will also be flanked by Transport Minister Maurizio Lupi and Agriculture Minister Maurizio Martina, as he attempts to get the international trade fair back on track following the corruption scandal.

The premier’s trip comes days after a series of raids and arrests in Milan and elsewhere in Italy, as part of a corruption investigation into Expo 2015.

The contracts manager of the trade fair, Angelo Paris, was arrested last week along with five others over allegations of being part of a system of bribes involving businessmen and politicians.

The latest wave of arrests follow a “save the Expo” summit in March, after eight people were arrested on corruption-related charges.

The Italian government has promised a €1.5 billion investment in the trade fair, which runs from May 1st to October 31st 2015.

READ MORE: Milan Expo manager arrested for corruption

Don't miss a story about Italy – Join us on Facebook and Twitter.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

MILAN

Romanian billionaire and seven others die in Milan plane crash

A light aircraft piloted by Romanian billionaire Dan Petrescu crashed into an empty office building near Milan on Sunday, killing him, his wife and son, and all five others aboard.

Police and rescue teams outside the office building where a small plane crashed in the Milan suburb of San Donato.
Police and rescue teams outside the office building where a small plane crashed in the Milan suburb of San Donato on October 3rd. Photo: Miguel Medina/AFP

The single-engine Pilatus PC-12 had taken off from Milan’s Linate airport shortly after 1pm headed for Olbia in the north of the Italian island of Sardinia.

It crashed just a few minutes later into a building in San Donato Milanese, a town southeast of Milan, according to aviation agency ANSV, which has opened an investigation.

Witnesses said the plane was already in flames before it crashed into an office building undergoing renovations.

Petrescu’s 65-year-old wife, who also had French nationality, and their son Dan Stefano, 30, were killed.

Italian media identified the other passengers as entrepreneur Filippo Nascimbene, a 33-year-old from Lombardy, with his wife, young son and mother-in-law, who have French nationality.

Petrescu, 68, was one of Romania’s richest men. He headed a major construction firm and owned a string of hypermarkets and malls. He also held Germany nationality, the Corriere della Sera newspaper reported.

Flames engulfed the two-storey building, next to the yellow line subway terminus.

“The impact was devastating,” Carlo Cardinali, of the Milan fire brigade, told news agency Ansa.

Deputy prosecutor Tiziana Siciliano was quoted by Corriere as saying that the plane’s black box had been recovered.

SHOW COMMENTS