Italy's state broadcaster braces for cuts

Share this article

“Rai must also participate in the spending review,” said Prime Minister Matteo Renzi. Photo: Marco Bertorello/AFP
12:05 CEST+02:00
Prime Minister Matteo Renzi has hinted at funding cuts to Italy’s state broadcaster Rai, saying the network "must also participate" in cuts as part of the government's spending review.

The social media-savvy prime minister took to Twitter on Wednesday to announce “The future will also arrive at Rai,” following a heated debate on the broadcaster’s leading talk show.

“Rai must also participate in the spending review,” Renzi said on Rai 3’s Balarò programme on Tuesday evening.

The prime minister would not be drawn on a specific sum of cuts to the state broadcaster, although he said Rai’s numerous regional offices could be sites of “resounding waste”.

Since coming to office in February, Renzi has rolled out a series of reforms and economic measures including €2.1 billion in cuts announced last month.

Story continues below…

“We have started to reduce the cost of politics...does it seem normal that Rai is the only state enterprise that can pretend it doesn’t have to do anything?” he said on Ballarò.

Don't miss a story about Italy - Join us on Facebook and Twitter.

Share this article

From our sponsors

Last chance to vote absentee in the US elections

Election Day in the U.S. is less than a month away, and time is running out for Americans living overseas to vote absentee. Here's what to do before it’s too late.


Popular articles