Two die in apartment block explosion

Author thumbnail
Two die in apartment block explosion
Two people were killed and four others injured in the explosion. Ambulance photo: Shutterstock"

A three-year-old boy has survived an explosion which killed his parents at their home in Foggia, south-east Italy, which a neighbour has claimed was caused by a gas leak ignored by technicians.


Giuseppina Fiore, 29, and her husband Luigi Veneziano, 37, were killed at around 4.00am when an explosion ripped through their apartment, La Stampa reported.

Their 85-year-old neighbour, Antonio Morelli, was seriously injured and two other tenants were wounded. Fiore and Veneziano’s three-year-old son was found by rescuers crying for help.

The couple and their toddler were described by a neighbour as “a beautiful family” who had moved into the building less than a month ago.

In total, four apartments and a number of cars parked outside were destroyed, the newspaper said.

The explosion reportedly followed tenants’ complaints the previous night of gas fumes.

“We called the Amgas technicians yesterday because there was a strong smell of gas,” Salvatore Morese, a resident in the building, was quoted in La Stampa as saying.

“They told me there was no problem: ‘Look, it sounds like nothing, they’re probably fumes from the boiler.’ I insisted but they reassured me,” he said. 

Don't miss a story about Italy - Join us on Facebook and Twitter.


Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also