Family of shot teen publishes photo of body

The family of Davide Bifolco, a 17-year-old shot dead by police in Naples last Thursday during a police chase, has published a photo of the teenager's dead body on Facebook in a bid to prove that he was intentionally killed by police.

In the photo, which was posted on Sunday by Bifolco's sister on her Facebook page and published widely in the Italian media, a wound is clearly seen on Bifolco’s chest above his heart, which the victim's family say was the fatal bullet wound fired by police. 

Bifolco’s family claim that the boy was intentionally killed and their lawyers are currently working to reconstruct the events that led to the shooting, Ansa reported.

The family also says it has "two other witnesses" unknown to them who "were present at the time of the shooting" and has released CCTV footage from outside an arcade after the shooting which it says contradicts the police's version of events.  

Police, meanwhile, maintain that Bifolco was killed accidentally when they were trying to arrest two or three teenagers. One of the three had broken house arrest.

Bifolco was shot dead while on his scooter on Thursday evening in Rione Traiano, Naples. On Friday, the victim’s sibling Tommaso Bifolco said that his brother did not have a licence, was not insured and that the scooter did not belong to him.

“Maybe he got scared, maybe he wanted to avoid the scooter being taken and that’s why he didn’t stop for the police,” Bifolco said, according to Ansa.

An autopsy was scheduled to be carried out on Monday but this has now been postponed until Tuesday at the family's request so that further tests can be carried out. 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


‘Bank robber’ rescued in Rome after tunnel collapses

Four people were arrested in Rome after a suspected would-be bank robber was rescued from a tunnel under a road, police said on Friday.

'Bank robber' rescued in Rome after tunnel collapses

An Italian man had to be rescued after becoming trapped in a collapsed tunnel near the Vatican, suspected of being part of a gang burrowing its way to a nearby bank.

Firefighters spent eight hours digging him out from under a road in the west of Rome, before he was finally freed on Thursday evening and taken to hospital.

“Two people from Naples were arrested for resisting a public official and two, from Rome, for damage” to public property, a police spokesman told AFP.

The rescued man, one of the two Romans, remains in hospital, he said without giving an update on his condition.

“We are still investigating, we do not exclude that they are thieves, it is one of the theories,” he said.

For Italian newspapers, however, the motive was clear, with reports noting the tunnel was found near a bank ahead of the August 15th long weekend, when residents traditionally head out of town and much of Rome is left empty.

“The hole gang,” headlined newspapers Repubblica and Corriere della Sera, while La Stampa said: “They dig a tunnel to rob a bank, and one of them is buried underground.”

Other reports referred to the suspected burglar as l’uomo-talpa, or ‘mole man’.

An AFP reporter at the scene on Thursday saw the man brought out alive on a stretcher, after a day-long operation involving dozens of emergency service workers using mechanical diggers.

The tunnel began underneath an empty shop that had recently been rented.

“We all thought that the people there were renovating the place. So we had no suspicions and we did not hear noises either,” a resident, Michele, who lives in the same building told AFP.