SHARE
COPY LINK

BERLUSCONI

‘Israelis support using atomic bomb against Isis’

The majority of Israeli citizens back using an atomic bomb in the fight against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (Isis), ex-Italian premier Silvio Berlusconi has claimed.

'Israelis support using atomic bomb against Isis'
Silvio Berlusconi made the comments on Sunday in northern Italy. Photo: Emilio Andreoli/AFP

Speaking to supporters by the shores of Lake Garda, Berlusconi said there is “great anguish within the Israeli population” over the rise of Isis jihadists.

“I can’t reveal my sources, but I can tell you with certainty that at the moment the majority of Israeli citizens are thinking it’s correct to defend themselves with the atomic bomb,” he was quoted in Corriere della Sera as saying.

The former prime minister’s comments come as the US government launches air strikes against Isis in Iraq, where the Islamic militants have taken over swathes of territory. Italy will not take part in the strikes but will send arms to support the fight against the jihadists, Foreign Minister Federica Mogherini said last week.

READ MORE: Italy will not take part in air strikes against Isis

Despite Berlusconi’s statement, no world leaders have suggested launching atomic weapons, the use of which has been banned globally by a treaty signed by 183 countries.

He made the comments on the same day Muslims gathered in Milan for an anti-Isis vigil. Around 200 people protested against Isis by lighting candles in Piazza Affari, home of the Italian stock exchange.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CANNES

Berlusconi scandal mill inspires another film

Italy's three-time premier and billionaire Silvio Berlusconi continues to provide ample entertainment fodder, with the first English-language film about his scandal-filled life now in the works.

Berlusconi scandal mill inspires another film
Photo: AFP

Based on a journalistic expose, “The Marquise” by Emmy-nominated US producer Steve Jones will focus on a dubious property deal involving Berlusconi's mansion on a privately owned island, trade magazine Variety reported Saturday.

Jones told Variety he would travel to Italy next month to scout for locations and meet actors and potential directors.

The project is the latest of several films on the 81-year-old media mogul who staged a surprise political comeback in 2017.

It comes as Oscar-winner Paolo Sorrentino's lavish biopic “Loro”, about the tycoon's infamous “bunga bunga” party era, is about to hit the screens in Italy.

The two-part movie failed to make it into this year's Cannes selection.

Back in 2006, Nanni Moretti's Berlusconi satire “The Caiman” became one of Italy's most successful films that year.

READ ALSO: Italy court lifts ban on Berlusconi running for public office: report