In light of “the gravity of the statements to the press and TV”, Schettino said he would take legal action in order for prosecutors “to take the necessary criminal proceedings regarding false testimony.”
The former Costa Concordia captain is currently on trial for manslaughter, over the deaths of 32 people killed when the cruise ship sunk in January 2012 off the coast of Tuscany.
Schettino’s announcement follows Cemortan’s appearance on the Mattino Cinque TV show on Wednesday, during which she claimed to have new evidence about the disaster.
The Moldovan dancer, who was Schettino’s lover on the cruise ship, said that a helicopter picked up an object from the Costa Concordia on the night of the accident.
“I didn’t see it personally, but someone who had direct contact with the helicopter told me,” she was quoted in La Nazione as saying.
Cemortan went on to say that Schettino made three phone calls that evening, “but during the investigation we heard only one phone call was registered.”
Lawyers representing the civil parties in the case, collectively known as the “Justice for the Concordia” group, called for Cemortan to be summoned to testify. If she refuses to appear it will be up to the magistrate to order her to appear, the lawyers said.
Cemortan previously appeared in court last October, when she said she dined with Schettino before the accident. “Everything seemed normal,” she said, testifying that she did not feel the crash and “didn't see anything because it was dark”.