Gran poisons family with expired hot chocolate

Share this article

Hot chocolate photo: Shutterstock
12:25 CEST+02:00
All she wanted was to serve her loved ones a tasty drink. But a grandmother from Vicenza is in a spot of bother after three children and an adult fell ill after she gave them hot chocolate that was 25 years out of date.

The sachet had been in her cupboard since the late 1980s, but the woman only decided to open it recently, to the delight of her two grandchildren, one of their friends and her son when they came to visit, Corriere del Veneto reported.

But the powdered content had expired in 1990.

A few hours later the first to be taken ill was the friend of the grandchildren, followed by the two grandchildren, all aged between eight and 12, and the woman’s son, Il Mattino reported, with the common denominator being the chocolate drink. The grandmother also fell sick, the newspaper said.

All of them ended up in the hospital emergency unit.

Story continues below…

Although it appears to have been an accident, the woman has been charged with causing injury, Corriere del Veneto reported.

Share this article

From our sponsors

Last chance to vote absentee in the US elections

Election Day in the U.S. is less than a month away, and time is running out for Americans living overseas to vote absentee. Here's what to do before it’s too late.


Popular articles