Gran poisons family with expired hot chocolate

The Local Italy
The Local Italy - [email protected]
Gran poisons family with expired hot chocolate
Hot chocolate photo: Shutterstock"

All she wanted was to serve her loved ones a tasty drink. But a grandmother from Vicenza is in a spot of bother after three children and an adult fell ill after she gave them hot chocolate that was 25 years out of date.


The sachet had been in her cupboard since the late 1980s, but the woman only decided to open it recently, to the delight of her two grandchildren, one of their friends and her son when they came to visit, Corriere del Veneto reported.

But the powdered content had expired in 1990.

A few hours later the first to be taken ill was the friend of the grandchildren, followed by the two grandchildren, all aged between eight and 12, and the woman’s son, Il Mattino reported, with the common denominator being the chocolate drink. The grandmother also fell sick, the newspaper said.

All of them ended up in the hospital emergency unit.

Although it appears to have been an accident, the woman has been charged with causing injury, Corriere del Veneto reported.



Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also